Find & Replace in CMD line based on Filename

east3rd

Hoping someone here is clever enough to figure this one out. I have a large number of files (900+) that need a text string replaced based on the filename. This isn't a simple Find & Replace for a static value. The table below is an example of what I'm trying to do. As you can see, there is a very specific find & replace value I'm working with for each file. I've done something similar in Excel plus command line for filename changes but this one is above my skill level. As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

filenameSearch ValueReplacement Value
file1.xmlSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/DramaSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/Drama/1992: Berlusconi Rising/Season 1
file2.xmlSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/DramaSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/Drama/1993: Berlusconi Rising/Season 1
file3.xmlSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/EducationalSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/Educational/A Cure for Fear/Season 1
file4.xmlSubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/ComedySubscription/Movies & Series/ChannelName/Series/Comedy/aka Wyatt Cenac/Season 1

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I used to use Excel to construct batch files. I found Excel a good tool for doing so because of its find & replace and concatenate functions. I did a dir, redirected the output to a file, opened it with Excel, manipulated it, saved it as text with a ".bat" exension, and that's my batch file. However, this method is only good if a rule can be found to apply to find & replace and/or concatenate. In your case, I don't see a rule or rules. All four examples you gave is unique. I don't see how Excel can help.

I guess you are not working with Windows because colon ":" is no allowed in filename in Windows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a pure VBA solution which uses FileSystemObject to read and write the files. Test it on a folder containing only 4 or 5 of the .xml files. As a further precaution, the macro doesn't change the original file, but creates a new file with the prefix "Modified ". You can delete the & "Modified " in the code when you're happy that it works correctly.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Find_and_Replace_In_Files_LB()

Dim XMLfilesFolder As String
    Dim FSO As Object
    Dim inFile As Object, outFile As Object
    Dim fileData As String
    Dim r As Long

XMLfilesFolder = "C:\XMLfiles\folder\"  'CHANGE THIS - FOLDER CONTAINING THE XML FILES

If Right(XMLfilesFolder, 1) <> "\" Then XMLfilesFolder = XMLfilesFolder & "\"

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

With ActiveSheet

For r = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Set inFile = FSO.OpenTextFile(XMLfilesFolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value)
            fileData = inFile.ReadAll
            inFile.Close

Set outFile = FSO.CreateTextFile(XMLfilesFolder & "Modified " & .Cells(r, "A").Value)
            fileData = Replace(fileData, .Cells(r, "B").Value, .Cells(r, "C").Value)
            outFile.Write fileData
            outFile.Close

Next

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
@John_w Thanks! This works (almost) perfectly ; ) Seems I have some lines in my doc for files that I don't have so the script stops as soon as it hits a "file not found" scenario. Is there any way to skip over these "errors"?

Upvote 0
Scrap that - working on getting the correct filenames into my doc - seems easier ; )

@John_w Thanks! This works (almost) perfectly ; ) Seems I have some lines in my doc for files that I don't have so the script stops as soon as it hits a "file not found" scenario. Is there any way to skip over these "errors"?

Upvote 0
In case you want to ignore missing files change the For ... Next loop to:
VBA Code:
        For r = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

If FSO.FileExists(XMLfilesFolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value) Then
                Set inFile = FSO.OpenTextFile(XMLfilesFolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value)
                fileData = inFile.ReadAll
                inFile.Close

Set outFile = FSO.CreateTextFile(XMLfilesFolder & "Modified " & .Cells(r, "A").Value)
                fileData = Replace(fileData, .Cells(r, "B").Value, .Cells(r, "C").Value)
                outFile.Write fileData
                outFile.Close
            End If

Next

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back