Find/Replace randomly taking forever

arooney88

Board Regular
Hi everyone! Thanks for checking into my issue and I appreciate any responses I'll get.

I have a database that has thousands of cells that I need to find/replace monthly because the formula needs to reference the correct month's data folder from another workbook every month.

My issue is that I'll do a find/replace on 1 tab and it'll do 20,000 changes in about 10 seconds, and then I'll do THE EXACT SAME THING on the 2nd tab immediately after the 1st find/replace, and it will take 30 minutes!

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similiar problems and what I can do to try to make it consistent. It just seems to slow down randomly and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Can you show us some examples of what is in your cells and what you are replacing in them?

Upvote 0
This is pretty standard.

='http://hcfg-portal.homestead.com/sites/QA/QA Workshop/Mar/[Alex QA.xlsm]Quality'!A4

This formula would be in say 20,000 cells. So I'll find/replace /Mar/ with /Apr/ and on the first tab it'll take 10 seconds. Then when I do the same exact thing on my 2nd tab, it will take 20-30 minutes. It seems to switch off every other time going faster then slower then faster then slower.

Upvote 0
It seems to do this quick/slow calculation for every other time I use Find/Replace. I'm not sure why and I can't figure out how to speed it up at all.

Upvote 0
It seems to do this quick/slow calculation for every other time I use Find/Replace. I'm not sure why and I can't figure out how to speed it up at all.

What happens if you change the Calculation Mode to Manual before you do your find/replaces? (Don't forget to set it back to Automatic when done.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back