Find value according to different criteria and sum

riskier4ra

Board Regular
Hey there, anyone know how I can do the following? My guess is I would use Index Match but not sure how to involve the date aspect.

I need to sum some values that match by a common symbol under two different headings, but only if they fall within the same calendar year.

So. If sym A matches sym B check date for year and if the same sum the value of C1 & G1. If year in After does not match the year found in Before do nothing. Do not want to use SUMIF, would prefer to use SUMPRODUCT

Heading = Before
A1= Date
B1= Sym
C1= Numerical Value

Heading = After
E1= Date
F1= Sym
G1=Numerical Value

Thanks for any help you all can give,
Risk

Is there a way to make the sum formula in I2 sum the entire range instead of having to sum for the same values on I3 I4 I5 etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Possibly, but if so it's beyond knowledge.

Upvote 0
mrexcelpost.jpg

Upvote 0

Hmm. Its there now. Strange.

Lets look at it from another angle.

Lets say in cell A1 I have a year. 2019 for example.

Lets say in B:B I have dates that range from 2018 to 2019

and in C:C I have negative values
and in D:D I have positive values

If A1 is 2018 I want to find all dates in B:B that have the 2018 in them and then sum the associated values in column C and do the same thing for the values in column D.

I am using a calendar method right now to input the values in each month and am using SUMPRODUCT in a 12 month data table to pull these values into, in two different rows, so I can output them on a document.

What I want to do is get away from the Calendar method and just use a basic ledger style sheet where all the entries are line by line and I can pull the values for each year by changing the date in A1.

Does this make more sense? What I am working on is kind of sensitive so I am trying to find an answer to my problem in a way that I can reproduce the result to fit my needs without giving out too many details.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Its there now. Strange.

Lets look at it from another angle.

Lets say in cell A1 I have a year. 2019 for example.

Lets say in B:B I have dates that range from 2018 to 2019

and in C:C I have negative values
and in D:D I have positive values

If A1 is 2018 I want to find all dates in B:B that have the 2018 in them and then sum the associated values in column C and do the same thing for the values in column D.

I am using a calendar method right now to input the values in each month and am using SUMPRODUCT in a 12 month data table to pull these values into, in two different rows, so I can output them on a document.

What I want to do is get away from the Calendar method and just use a basic ledger style sheet where all the entries are line by line and I can pull the values for each year by changing the date in A1.

Does this make more sense? What I am working on is kind of sensitive so I am trying to find an answer to my problem in a way that I can reproduce the result to fit my needs without giving out too many details.

I guess I will start another thread. Thanks anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to say thanks for the help you did give. Im sure it will prove useful someday. Cheers mate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back