Finding a hidden macro

cr731

I have a workbook that was created by someone else at work and need to find the VBA code to make edits. Problem is, I cannot find the code anywhere, even in the VBA editor window.

I have unhidden all sheets and all sheets and workbook structure are not protected.

Some of the macros are attached to checkboxes (the 'Form Control' variety) and when I right-click and Assign Macro, I can see the macro name in the box, but that macro is nowhere to be found in the VBA editor window.

Additionally, the workbook has some areas that seem to be Worksheet_Change events (such as if I delete contents of a cell, it replaces the blank with a value). I go into the worksheet code and see no Worksheet_Change events.

I'm thoroughly confused as I have never seen a workbook where the macros are seemingly hidden.

This is an Excel 2013 file.

Does anyone know of some other ways to hide macros?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Edit: I'm really confused now, because I noticed the file is an XLSX format. How can any macros be running on this file type?

Upvote 0
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this? I'd like to figure this out so I can make necessary updates to the file... but cannot seem to figure out what is going on with the file. Here are a few of the things that are happening,

- Upon checking certain checkboxes, cells are hidden or unhidden
- Upon deleting values from cells, a placeholder is re-entered into the cell (such as to say "Type name here")

I assume that it has to be a macro as I know of no other way in Excel to drive the above behaviors, but the file is xlsx and I can find no macros in the VBA editor.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Maybe check Data Validation?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back