Finding adjacent cell of min/max formula?

Elihue

Hi,

I need to find the adjacent cell of a min/max value and return it. However, I can't seem to make this work for my particular situation. I have two tables on separate tabs. One with all my data, and one I want to fill with specific data from the first table.

Table #1 structure example

ObjectID1 F Comm Own.1 F Comm Ht.2 F Comm Own.2 F Comm Ht.other dataother dataother data1 B Comm Own.1 B Comm Ht.2 B Comm Own.2 B Comm Ht.other dataother data
ect...

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am using this formula to fill the Ht. columns on table #2 . It looks at "1 F Comm Ht." & "1 B Comm Ht." and puts the max value in "1 Highest Comm Ht."
=IF(MAX('Pole Data'!CU3,'Pole Data'!IA3)=0,"",MAX('Pole Data'!CU3,'Pole Data'!IA3))

I'm looking for a formula that will put the Owner of the max value in the adjacent cell called "1 Highest Comm Own."

table #2 structure example.

ObjectIDHighest MISC. Comm
1 Highest Comm Own. 1 Highest Comm Ht.2 Highest Comm Own.2 Highest Comm Ht.
other dataother data other dataother dataother dataother dataother data
ect...

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Something like this: =INDEX('Pole Data'!CT3,'Pole Data'!HZ3,MATCH(MAX('Pole Data'!CU3,'Pole Data'!IA3),'Pole Data'!CU3,'Pole Data'!IA3,0)) gives me an error saying "Too many arguements"

Upvote 0
I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out what you want. You showed your layout, roughly, but didn't include column/row headers or any sample data and desired results. Here's the best I can figure:
CSCTCUCVCWCXCYCZDAHYHZIAIBICIDIE
1ObjectID1 F Comm Own.1 F Comm Ht.2 F Comm Own.2 F Comm Ht.other dataother dataother data1 B Comm Own.1 B Comm Ht.2 B Comm Own.2 B Comm Ht.other dataother data
21Andy10A11A22A33Alyce 9AA11AA22AA33
32Bob12B11B22B33Beyonce11BB11BB22BB33
43Cal14C11C22C33Cyndi13CC11CC22CC33
54Doug11D11D22D33Debra15DD11DD22DD33
65Eddy10E11E22E33Elayne12EE11EE22EE33
76Frank6F11F22F33Felice6FF11FF22FF33
<tbody> </tbody>
Pole Data
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1ObjectIDHighest MISC. Comm1 Highest Comm Own.1 Highest Comm Ht.2 Highest Comm Own.2 Highest Comm Ht.other dataother dataother dataother dataother dataother dataother data
2Debra15Cal14??????
<tbody> </tbody>
Sheet3
Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
C2=IFERROR(INDEX('Pole Data'!$CT$2:$CT$10,MATCH(D2,'Pole Data'!$CU$2:$CU$10,0)),INDEX('Pole Data'!$HZ$2:$HZ$10,MATCH(D2,'Pole Data'!$IA$2:$IA$10,0)))
D2=MAX('Pole Data'!CU:CU,'Pole Data'!IA:IA)
E2=IFERROR(INDEX('Pole Data'!$CT$2:$CT$10,MATCH(F2,'Pole Data'!$CU$2:$CU$10,0)),INDEX('Pole Data'!$HZ$2:$HZ$10,MATCH(F2,'Pole Data'!$IA$2:$IA$10,0)))
F2=LARGE(('Pole Data'!CU:CU,'Pole Data'!IA:IA),2)
<tbody> </tbody>
<tbody> </tbody>
The formulas work, but they are just examples. They don't copy/paste the way you'd want, nor do they handle duplicates. I can adjust them to do both, but before I spend more time on this, please explain exactly what your tables look like, and exactly what results you want. Do you want more than one result row? More data in the "other data" columns?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back