Finding and copying text

dwm16

No calculations involved -- all text, but I'm trying to find a way to search a column in a table for the month, then copy all the text in the row that matches the desired month into a new table. Simple example:

Jan NY Made quota in first two weeks.
Jan OH Didn't make quota
Feb CA Didn't make quota
Mar NY Sold out of product A

The months are in column A. So in a separate worksheet, I want to say: If column A = Feb, then copy the other two columns in the rows that have Feb in column A. So the result for a search on "Feb" would be "Feb - CA - Didn't make quota" in columns A-C on the second sheet, if that makes sense.

People will be entering this data throughout the year, so each month, I want to be able to run a report on current month's comments.

The descriptions in column C would vary, so a validation list could not be used, if that makes a difference (and there are more columns, some of which are validation lists, but I'm keeping this example simple).

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi,

Wouldnt it be simpler if you just used

Data|filter|AutoFilter

and printed the filtered sheet?

HTH

Alan

Upvote 0
I could do as you suggest, but this is a small piece of a large report that is pulled from the data in a large workbook, most of which consists of numerical calculations. In fact this text data is in a table that will produce 6 charts from the numeric data in it. I'm getting it set up so everything will produce a report (possibly in Word or Powerpoint) with little manual manipulation. If I can get this info to be automatically identified, copied and entered in my monthly report, then everything would update and produce a current month report by my only changing the current month in one place.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back