Finding and getting text from a lot of cells in a row

Kyusson

Hi,

I am trying to find a text in a row, A9:AP9 where this value is: [FONT=Inconsolata, monospace, arial, sans, sans-serif]id: "bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b"[/FONT]

[FONT=Inconsolata, monospace, arial, sans, sans-serif]I then want to take the value between the " (speech marks) and return it to another cell, so I would have [/FONT]bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b

Is this possible? I have tried all sorts, but I cant seem to get ii to search the row. Any help appreciated.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
The value is either found in that range or not found.

"Another cell" - cell unspecified, I'm assuming A1, change it to what you want.

in A1
=IFERROR(HLOOKUP("bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b",A9:AP9,1,0),"NOT FOUND")

Upvote 0
Ah interesting, thanks, I have tried HLOOKUP (I even tried ordering the data in a column and use VLOOKUP, no joy). Problem is, the only static text in the cell I am looking for is ID: The value that is inside the "" changes. So I cannot search for the specific string, just the start of the cell ID:

So, in a row of cells, I have a lot of data, in one of them is some text that starts ID:" then there will be the variable string value, then it closes with another "

So I want to retrieve the variable string value, which is inside those speech marks and preceded by ID:

So a value in a cell could be
id: "bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b"
or
id: "dd00x5s0-h8a8-31w6-a9w7-0d568a2c921c"

Does that make sense and is it possible? Seems far fetched maybe.

Upvote 0
Ah interesting, thanks, I have tried HLOOKUP (I even tried ordering the data in a column and use VLOOKUP, no joy). Problem is, the only static text in the cell I am looking for is ID: The value that is inside the "" changes. So I cannot search for the specific string, just the start of the cell ID:

So, in a row of cells, I have a lot of data, in one of them is some text that starts ID:" then there will be the variable string value, then it closes with another "

So I want to retrieve the variable string value, which is inside those speech marks and preceded by ID:

or

For the text you are searching for...

1) Does it always start with "id:" whether upper or lower case?

2) Can there be more than one such cell in the range A9:AP9?

3) If there can be more, how do you want them presented back to you? In separate cells (if so which cells)? As a comma delimited list within a single cell? Something else?

Upvote 0

or

Following your example, maybe:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:33.27px;" /><col style="width:33.27px;" /><col style="width:33.27px;" /><col style="width:274.69px;" /><col style="width:33.27px;" /><col style="width:33.27px;" /><col style="width:33.27px;" /><col style="width:33.27px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td >Data</td><td >Data</td><td >Data</td><td >ID: "bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b"</td><td >Data</td><td >Data</td><td >Data</td><td >Data</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D6</td><td >=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(MID(INDEX(A9:AP9,0,MATCH("id:*",A9:AP9,0)),6,250),CHAR(34),""))</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Try and tell me.

Upvote 0
Following your example, maybe:

ABCDEFGH
6 bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b
9DataDataDataID: "bf00c6e0-b7a7-11e7-a8e6-0a580a2c491b"DataDataDataData

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:33.27px;"><col style="width:33.27px;"><col style="width:33.27px;"><col style="width:274.69px;"><col style="width:33.27px;"><col style="width:33.27px;"><col style="width:33.27px;"><col style="width:33.27px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

CellFormula
D6=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(MID(INDEX(A9:AP9,0,MATCH("id:*",A9:AP9,0)),6,250),CHAR(34),""))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Try and tell me.

YES!!

This entirely works

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back