Finding and inserting value from previous list.

Mohohunter

To start off I am new on this forum and self admittedly not very good with excel formulas. I appreciate in advance your help. I will try to give as much information and background as I can.

The basis of my needs is to be able to find in a list of names, a duplicate name from previous list and then grab and populate a number from that row. Here is an example...
A B C D
Doe,Jane $1000 $250$750
Smith,John$700$100$600
Wilson,Alan$1500$1500$0

<tbody>
</tbody>
I update the list, some names are added and others taken away. When I add the new list, column C of every name is $0. I want the formula to find names from the previous list and populate Column C with the value of Column C + D of the corresponding name. Also I have a separate formula that simply is D=(B-C) The result of what I would want this to look like is this...
A B C D
Doe,Jane$1200$1000$200
Doe,John$500$0$500
Smith,John$1000$700$300

<tbody>
</tbody>
As you can see there was a new name added to the list (Doe,John) and a name taken away from the list (Wilson,Alan). Column C is the only Column that I am wanting to auto populate. The Value in Column B is a variable that is managed by another program so you don't have to worry about that.
Keep in mind there will be multiple instances of this list and the same name will occur more than once in the spreadsheet. There are not duplicate names that are different customers though as my other program takes care of that. eg. "Doe,John" and "Doe,John #2". I only want it to grab the information from the previous list not ones previous to that list(if that makes sense) third example...
A B C D
Doe,Jane $1500 $1200$300
Doe,John$500$500$0
Miller,Joe$700$0$700
Smith, John$1300$1000$300

<tbody>
</tbody>
My current method of accomplishing this is to select the previous list and print it. I then go down the new list and cross reference it with the old one keying in the values by hand. This would be a huge time saver as the list is 250 names and growing. I hope I have given enough information but undoubtedly I have not. So feel free to ask me any questions and for more details. I did not want to go to in depth for fear of my post being to long.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
For some reason I am unable to edit my original post so that I can mark it as solved. Instead it only gives me the option to reply to myself. To be honest I am a little disapointed that I never even received a reply to this post. Anyways the guys over at Excel Help Forum were kind enough to help me out. If you would like an answer to this question please reference Finding and inserting value from previous list. [SOLVED] Again this issue should be considered SOLVED.

Upvote 0
Mohohunter, thanks for the link :)

Maybe the members here were helping on your thread over there

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back