Finding Christmas tree entries in survey data

kualjo

Board Regular
Does anyone have any experience with formulas or macros that can help determine individual survey response sets that might be invalid because the respondent christmas-treed the survey. I can find straight-lined responses, but christmas-trees are trickier. Because of the nature of the survey, this actually shouldn't be a problem, but I want to be sure that I have the cleanest data possible.

The survey is 75 questions with 6 response items each (Strongly disagree to Strongly agree). There are reverse-scored items, so an average sample set would tend to spread equally around the midpoint.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
What would you consider a Christmas tree response to the survey. In other words, what pattern exactly are you trying to detect?

Upvote 0
I played around with some data and found a possible way to detect systematic vs random sequences in the surveys. If you do a discrete cosine transform on the data and look at the range of the frequency data you can spot systematic variance in the data. Here is a UDF that will return the range of the frequency space after the transform:

Code:
Public Function DCT_Range() As Double

Dim dct(75), tMax, tMin As Double

tMin = 256
    tMax = -256
    For i = 1 To 74
        t = 0
        For x = 0 To 74
            t = t + Cells(x + 2, 2) * Cos((Application.WorksheetFunction.Pi() * _
                (2 * x + 1) * i) / (2 * 75))
        Next
        t = (2 / 75) ^ 0.5 * t
        If tMax < t Then tMax = t
        If tMin > t Then tMin = t
    Next i

DCT_Range = tMax - tMin

End Function

This UDF assumes 76 rows of data (headers in row 1, values in rows 2-76), question number in column A and answer (1-6) in column B. I populated column B with random data and the UDF returned a range of about 5. I then entered repeating data such as (1,6,1,6,1,6,1,6...) and (1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1,2,3...) and (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3...) and the UDF returned ranges from 9 to 13.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back