RompStar

I have columns:

D: First Name
F: Last Name
H: Address
J: City
K: State
L: ZIP

I need a formula or a way to find duplicates using all of these columns, so I have a sheet with 20,000 rows, if any row for all those columns has exact values, then ID them as a Duplicate in a column or something like that, please help!

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
This in M1:

=D1&F1&H1&J1&K1&L1

and copied down.

This will return a concatenated string.

Then in N1:

=COUNTIF(M$1:M$20000,M1)

and copied down will return the number of occurrences of the concatenated string.

HTH

Upvote 0
Great this works, so 1 is single, I got some 2's and some 3's and I got one that is 41 times repeating, I think this one might be fraud :- )

Ok, so for the duplicates I need a way to pick the first row, maybe I can do another helper column that would pick the first row of any duplicates, so if it I select 2 instances, I would like to put a 1 into a helper column, and then with autofilter I can select them and copy them to a new sheet.

Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0
Nevermind :- ) I just ended up using Advanced Filter, Unique records on the field that has all the columns merged.

Upvote 0
Could you use Advanced Filter?

1. Select the whole data area, including headings.

2. Data|Filter|Advanced Filter...|Copy to another location|Copy to: Z1 (for example)|Unique records only|OK

3. Copy the range starting in Z1 to your other sheet.

Edit: Looks like you discovered Advanced Filter while I was composing my reply. :)

However, I think you should be able to use it directly on your original data without having to have those 20,000+ additional formulas concatenating the columns.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help. The advanced filter does the trick, but the formulas are useful too, because it allows me to count how many times someone is duplicated, I counted one party duplicating over 40 times, so that's a problem that needs to be addressed the way addresses are verified for customers with Experian.

So it's good to know how many times someone repeats.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back