Finding Errors

Gene Smolko

Hello Everyone,

I have a sheet with a lot of data and I need to check it for a certain error. Basically I have a database that lists maintenance procedures with a line entry for each component that maintenance procedure is performed on. There are many columns in this database but there is one that I need to check for errors called task type. The task type for a maintenance procedure should be the same every time the maintenance procedure is listed regardless of component. If it's different, that's an error that needs corrected. I was thinking that a formula that could number task types for a maintenance procedure would work. For example, for a given maintenance procedure all task types should be the same, a formula that numbers them should all be "1," any twos, threes etc would be an error. If anyone has a different idea for a solution that would work, that's fine too.

I have created an example spreadsheet to illustrate what I am talking about, but I can figure out how to post it in the comment like I have seen others do. I tried a screenshot and a jpeg from that, but the software wants a URL for some annoying reason. I tried that by trying to insert a test image from the net, but that didn't work either!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Much thanks, Joe, this should illustrate what I'm talking about.

Excel 2007
ABC
1Maint #task typeformula
21212Weekly1
31212Weekly1
41212Weekly1
51212Annual2
61212Weekly1
71212Weekly1
81212Monthly3
91212Weekly1
101212Weekly1
113412Monthly1
123412Weekly2
133412Monthly1
143412Monthly1
153412Monthly1
163412Monthly1
177812Annual1
187812Annual1
197812Annual1
207812Annual1
217812Annual1
227812Annual1
Sheet3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In this example, Maint # 1212 has two errors, an Annual and a Monthly, Maint # 3412 has one error, Weekly. The actual spreadsheet has over two thousand entries, if one of the Maint # with an error comes up first, this formula would number all the other (maybe all correct) entries as other than one. This won't be a big deal, because I will be able to see that is what is going on. As I said earlier, other suggestions how to achieve this end are welcome too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back