Finding Gaps between Time Punches

lharnage7331

Office Version
  1. 2016
So my boss comes to me today.... wants to find out if we have stores closing without our knowledge.

We have over 2000 stores
Over 7500 employees
They clock in via an APP and all punches are recorded
Say i have a daily set of punches by employee by store

Can someone for the life of me give me a direction on how i would pretty much find time gaps between those punches (Assuming everyone clocked in and out correctly)

Example: Employee clocks 9-2. Another Employee Clocks in 2-8. Obviously I can see there's an hour window without a punch. But when we have stores with 1-7+ employees, 4 punches for each employee across 2000 stores I need an excel way to find these gaps where one person's punch does'nt overlap another person's punch therefore assuming the store had no employees working at that time

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
lol...contributions here are voluntary. I'll post a link to the file after I clean it up a bit (and as you've noted, you can do a copy/paste directly from the site). I am guessing that you might want to sort or filter the results table? Right now, with the daily store listing being generated by a "spilling" array function (UNIQUE), you won't be able to use any autofilters. And the presence of the daily punch data on the same worksheet may be an issue too, as rows of it would be collapsed if an autofilter were applied to the results table. So I'm cleaning up a version 2.0 that moves the daily punch data to its own worksheet and the analysis/results table is left alone on a worksheet. I'll try to include some instructions for inserting the store listing information and reviewing the formulas to ensure they reference the correct data set/columns.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to the file, reworked as described in my last post. Review the text boxes on each worksheet for details, insights, and recommendations. Post back if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back