Finding instances between time ranges that cross midnight

jbyron

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I feel like the answer lies here somewhere, but I'm having difficulty combining the possible answers into one, elegant solution.
I'm trying to find the number of instances that a customer comes in to when they leave. I am trying to find out how many customers are present during specific time frames (here, 11pm to 8am).

So if customer A comes in at 11 pm and leaves the next day at 3 am, and I have my headers as such, I'd like it to return the following values. Likewise, if they come in before the range of 11p-8a, but are present within the range, to still return a "1" for the fact that they are present. Any combination of logic I use gets confounded when I cross midnight. I do have the dates they came in in a column, but not the dates they left, which means I'd have to manually look for instances where it crossed midnight to fill in that is was the next day.

Thank you for any help!

Time inTime out11:00pm-11:59pm12:00am - 12:59 am1:00 am - 1:59 am2:00 am - 2:59 am3:00 am - 3:59 am4:00 am to 4:59 am
Customer A11:32 pm3:30 am111110
Customer B9:30 pm 2:30 am111100
Customer C10:45 pm12:09 am110000

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Can you just do a check if Time Out is less than Time In? Something like =C2<B2.

This will only work if they are there for less than 24 hours but it doesn't seem like you have anyway to distinguish that in your current system.

Hope it helped. :)

Upvote 0
Part of your issue would be solved if you enter your data as Date-Time values (13-Jan-2020 8:50 PM) rather than just times (8:50 PM).

Upvote 0
Can you just do a check if Time Out is less than Time In? Something like =C2<B2.

This will only work if they are there for less than 24 hours but it doesn't seem like you have anyway to distinguish that in your current system.

Thanks I tried this to identify everything that crossed midnight then used nested if statements for the rest. Mind you I'm dealing with 27,000 entries so I'm spot checking still to ensure accuracy

Upvote 0
Part of your issue would be solved if you enter your data as Date-Time values (13-Jan-2020 8:50 PM) rather than just times (8:50 PM).

I pulled a fresh extract and I was able to get these, how would the formula differ?

Upvote 0

I think I found instance where this fails, for instance if a customer comes in at 10pm, but leaves the next day at 10:59pm, without knowing that it's the next day, 10:59pm looks like it's the same day thus they are excluded from my search for people who stayed between 11pm-8am, though they did in fact stay overnight. I truly hate excel and time calculations!

Upvote 0
I pulled a fresh extract and I was able to get these, how would the formula differ?

You should check the dates between arriving and leaving, when they are different you would subtract the difference to determine the number of days attended. Depending on your formatting you should be able to subtract the two cells (if they have date and time in the same cell) to see the total time attended. If it comes up as a decimal adjust your cell formatting to a time format.

The formula would depend on the format of your updated cells. For instance, if the dates are included in the time value you would use a formula like this: =TEXT(B2,"d/m/yy")=TEXT(C2,"d/m/yy")

If the date values are in separate columns you should just be able to compare the columns by themselves: =B2=C2

You would obviously need to put these into an if statement for your logic calcs.

Did that answer your question?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back