finding named range in data validation

heritagedoorchris

I have a very large spreadsheet that I am trying to clean up. There are 240 named ranges in the spreadsheet. Some are used in formulas and some in data validation. I trace dependents to locate those used in formulas. Is there a way find the cells that have data validated using named ranges? It does not show up in a dependent trace. I am using Excel2003. Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
menu: Insert > Name > Paste > Paste List

The above will put a list of all named ranges in individual rows within a column starting at whichever cell is currently selected.

Upvote 0
Thank you, but I have my list of named ranges and I created it just as you suggested. This list shows me where they exist in the workbook. To find out where they are used in formulas I can go to the named range, select it, and trace dependents. The problem I have is if a named range is used in data validation only it will show no dependents in a trace. I need to find out which cells in the workbook use the named ranges as data validation. If I delete a named range that shows no dependents and is used in data validation...well, you can see the problem there. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Upvote 0
heritagedoorchris said:
Thank you, but I have my list of named ranges and I created it just as you suggested. This list shows me where they exist in the workbook. To find out where they are used in formulas I can go to the named range, select it, and trace dependents. The problem I have is if a named range is used in data validation only it will show no dependents in a trace. I need to find out which cells in the workbook use the named ranges as data validation. If I delete a named range that shows no dependents and is used in data validation...well, you can see the problem there. :rolleyes:
Reality is but a shared illusion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back