thestones757

So I have a log at work for orders from people in the office that is the format:

"Person Who Placed Order"-"Person Ordered For"

The account number in the next cell is represented only for the "Person Ordered For" and should correspond to their name. Since there are a large number of orders, it would be easiest to enter in a formula to represent the account number automatically if a specific person is entered in the "Person Ordered For" portion of the cell to then display their account number so I wouldn't have to enter in the account number every time. I have tried a string of IF statements but now it is returning "too many arguments for function", also I have tried finding the text with a SEARCH function, but that seems to display a number when I need to incorporate it into an IF function to represent a textual account number.

If there is an easier way to do this I would greatly appreciate it!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
could you post a sample of what you asking? I'm not understanding about the account number part

Upvote 0
Yes,

A B
NAME ACCOUNT
Joe Schmoe-Jerry Lewis =IF(SEARCH("Jerry Lewis",A1),"FY51214",...)
^Orderer(Usually same)-^Person Ordered For

The person ordered can be a number of different of people corresponding to a number of different account numbers, so therefore it would be easy to find the shortest way of stringing together a bunch of if statements to represent their account numbers.

Upvote 0
you are limited to 7 ifs in nesting. So a lookup would probably a better options. For that you will need to setup a table with the names and account numbers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gb24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back