Finding the closest site (Latitude / Longitude) to a long list of coordinates along a path.

mpwampler81

HI, let me thank you in advance for any all suggestions and solutions!
I have been working on this problem for a while now and cannot find a solution.

I have an extensive workbook with 3000+ sites. Each site has information specific to that site. Latitude, Longitude, Site Identifier, etc.

Recently, I have been collecting data while in the field driving past and around the sites. The data is collected every 3 seconds. The data collected includes latitude, longitude, wind direction, wind speed, etc. However this data does not have any identifiers to link the data directly to a site. The latitude and longitude data collected every 3 seconds will rarely/never directly match the latitude / longitude of a site.

I am trying to link the two data sets together. I see two options:
1.) If a latitude / longitude coordinate from the 3 second data is within a plus or minus degree from the latitude / longitude of a site, report the agency identifier
2.) If a latitude / longitude coordinate from the 3 second data is the closest to the latitude / longitude of a site, report the agency identifier

The two options are similar. I am open to all suggestions and solutions as i would consider myself decent with excel, but definitely no expert.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

mpwampler81

Thank you, I will work on this. Unfortunately i can not see the original excel file the formula was written for but hopefully i can figure it out!

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
superjoejoe

This Week's Hot Topics