Finding the closest site (Latitude / Longitude) to a long list of coordinates along a path.

mpwampler81

HI, let me thank you in advance for any all suggestions and solutions!
I have been working on this problem for a while now and cannot find a solution.

I have an extensive workbook with 3000+ sites. Each site has information specific to that site. Latitude, Longitude, Site Identifier, etc.

Recently, I have been collecting data while in the field driving past and around the sites. The data is collected every 3 seconds. The data collected includes latitude, longitude, wind direction, wind speed, etc. However this data does not have any identifiers to link the data directly to a site. The latitude and longitude data collected every 3 seconds will rarely/never directly match the latitude / longitude of a site.

I am trying to link the two data sets together. I see two options:
1.) If a latitude / longitude coordinate from the 3 second data is within a plus or minus degree from the latitude / longitude of a site, report the agency identifier
2.) If a latitude / longitude coordinate from the 3 second data is the closest to the latitude / longitude of a site, report the agency identifier

The two options are similar. I am open to all suggestions and solutions as i would consider myself decent with excel, but definitely no expert.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Thank you, I will work on this. Unfortunately i can not see the original excel file the formula was written for but hopefully i can figure it out!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back