Finding the Maximum Value adjacent to multiple maximum values

WellMax81

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi,
Firstly I apologise in advance as I've been trying to find the correct way to find this solution for sometime now, and I'm convinced it's because I'm terrible at articulating the problem.
I am putting together a spreadsheet to track fitness, with a summary sheet of personal bests. So it will find the Maximum value in one column (the weight) and then the maximum value in a second column (the reps in that set) - however, I've been using the XLOOKUP formula with the MAX formula and it's returning not returning the maximum number, it's returning the first number in the column that's adjacent.
The formula I've been using is: =XLOOKUP(MAX('SNG HS Arm Pull Down'!D:D),'SNG HS Arm Pull Down'!D:D,'SNG HS Arm Pull Down'!C:C)
The dataset it's pulling from is shown in Image 1. The result is shown in Image 2 - this is showing as 12, the first number that is associated with that weight, (20), however the largest number in the data is 19 - which is the formula I need help with.

In addition, I would also like to pull the date across as well. I've really hit a wall with this so any help and advice would be really appreciated! Thank you so much in advance

I'm using Excel on M365 on a Mac, I also have it on a PC as I believe the Mac version has some limitations, if this helps

cheers

Anthony

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

For the future: MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

See if you can adapt this (assuming it does what you want)

23 01 14.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
2DateRepsWeightPB RepsPB Date
35/01/20231220129/01/2023
49/01/20231020
59/01/20231024
69/01/20231224
713/01/20231224
813/01/20231220
913/01/20231620
PB
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G3:H3G3=INDEX(SORT(FILTER(CHOOSECOLS(A3:C9,3,1),D3:D9=MAX(D3:D9)),1,-1),1,0)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Another option
Excel Formula:
=TAKE(CHOOSECOLS(SORT(A3:D100,{4,3},-1),3,1),1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back