Finding Unknown Values

Moe1950

I have a column in a spreadsheet that is either populated by either an #N/A (which is populated using a COUNTIF(XX:XX,"Value") ) or an actual number. I have no way of know what that number is.

What I need to do is find all of the rows in the spreadsheet where that particular column DOES NOT equal #N/A

What would be best way of accomplishing this?

This is Excel 2007

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi and welcome to MrExcel.

Does this do what you require?...

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1Data*Results*
2#N/A*1*
3#N/A*2*
41*3*
52*4*
6#N/A*5*
73*6*
8#N/A*7*
94***
10#N/A***
11#N/A***
125***
136***
147***
15****
Sheet10

The formula in C2 needs entering with ctrl shift enter NOT just enter, it can then be copied down.
You will need to change the cell references to suit your layout.

OR using Conditional Formatting....

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1DataResults
2#N/AFALSE
3#N/AFALSE
41TRUE
52TRUE
6#N/AFALSE
73TRUE
8#N/AFALSE
94TRUE
10#N/AFALSE
11#N/AFALSE
125TRUE
136TRUE
147TRUE
Sheet10

I hope that helps, if not, then I suggest that you post some sample data and your expected results.

Ak

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know how to make those nice looking tables that you made, so I'll do my best.

In one column I have entries like
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
AC3867521
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
672B98712
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
etc

There are 13,834 rows. I used a COUNTIF so I know that out of those 13,834 rows there are 44 numbers leaving 13,790 occurances of #N/A - I need to ignore the #N/As and either get the r:number of each of the 44 entries, or copy the 44 entries into a blank row.

I can accomplish my goal by scrolling through all 13,834 entries locating each of the 44 numbers I'm looking for one at a time, but I figure there has to be a better way than that.

In your forumla example, what is 'SUMPRODUCT'?

Upvote 0
I don't know how to make those nice looking tables that you made, so I'll do my best.

In one column I have entries like
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
AC3867521
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
672B98712
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A
etc

There are 13,834 rows. I used a COUNTIF so I know that out of those 13,834 rows there are 44 numbers leaving 13,790 occurances of #N/A - I need to ignore the #N/As and either get the r:number of each of the 44 entries, or copy the 44 entries into a blank row.

I can accomplish my goal by scrolling through all 13,834 entries locating each of the 44 numbers I'm looking for one at a time, but I figure there has to be a better way than that.

In your forumla example, what is 'SUMPRODUCT'?

Try...

=COUNTIF($A$:$A$100,"?*")

The formula excludes the text in the header cell A1.

Upvote 0
Try...

The formula excludes the text in the header cell A1.
Thank you very much, but that will tell me how many there are in the column. I have that number. I need to locate them without manually scrolling through all 13,834 rows.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much, but that will tell me how many there are in the column. I have that number. I need to locate them without manually scrolling through all 13,834 rows.

D1:
Rich (BB code):
D2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IF(ROWS($D$2:D2)<=$D$1,
  INDEX($A$2:$A$19,SMALL(IF(1-ISNA($A$2:$A$19),
  ROW($A$2:$A$19)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($D$2:D2))),"")

Upvote 0
Code:
What is this doing? I looked up ISNA; I know what IF and ROW are, but ya lost me on INDEX and SMALL

Is this saying if you find a number in column A put it in column D?

Also, both responders to my question have said "control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down" - what does that mean? When I copy down, I highlight, do CTRL+C, click on the first cell and scroll to the last cell that I want then do CTRL+V - I've never used any kind enter key when doing a copy 'n paste.

Upvote 0
Code:
What is this doing? I looked up ISNA; I know what IF and ROW are, but ya lost me on INDEX and SMALL

Is this saying if you find a number in column A put it in column D?

Also, both responders to my question have said "control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down" - what does that mean? When I copy down, I highlight, do CTRL+C, click on the first cell and scroll to the last cell that I want then do CTRL+V - I've never used any kind enter key when doing a copy 'n paste.

Try first to follow the instructions.

Control+shift+enter means: Hold down the control and the shift keys and hit the enter key at the same time. When done properly, you see { and } appear around the formula on the formula bar. As such, you can drag it down.

Note. ISNA tests whether an entry is #NA. 1-ISNA(#N/A) would equal 0, otherwise 1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back