Finding Unnamed Columns

lmcwrod

Hope somebody can help with the following:

I have a large database (15000 rows, 85 columns). I was in the habit of naming all columns. However, I had noticed that when I would zoom out, I could see all column names (and thus, all columns that had not been named). As such, I stopped naming the columns and was going to name them at a later date. Unfortunately, now that I've added so many columns, I no longer see the column names when I zoom out.

Is there any way for me to see which columns in the database do not have names so that I can name them and refer to the name as opposed to the column letters?

I hope that's clear.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
If you start in A1 and press CTRL + Right arrow, Excel will take your cursor to the first empty cell in row 1 (technically, it will take you to the cell directly left of the first empty cell in row 1). After you fill in that cell, press CTRL+Right arrow again to go to the next one.

Is that sufficient for what you're looking to do?

Upvote 0
Oaktree, I'm having difficulty understanding how this solves the problem. I'm looking for a way to find which columns don't have a name associated with them (entire column, from A1-A15130; I have a total of 80 columns) without having to go column by column. The zoom out thing that I was able to do when the database was smaller was great. I could instantly identify which columns had no name and then proceed to name them.

Hope that helps clarify.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about named ranges? I took "names" to refer to the cell in row 1 of each column, and I thought your issue was that some of them were blank and you wanted to fill in the values. CTRL+Right arrow would find a blank in your row...

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion. I am indeed talking about named ranges (each column is a named range). I'm looking to find a way of locating all columns that are not named ranges so that I can name them and refer to them by name (so that if I add columns, my references stay intact).

Upvote 0
You might be able to try...

Code:
Sub CheckColumnsForNamedRangesPlease()
    Dim ws As Worksheet, nm As Name, LastCol As Long, i As Long
    Dim Msg As VbMsgBoxResult, blnHasIt As Boolean, strColLet As String
    Set ws = Sheets("Sheet1")
    LastCol = ws.Cells.Find("*", ws.Cells(1, 1), , , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column
    For i = 1 To LastCol
        blnHasIt = False
        For Each nm In Workbooks(ws.Parent.Name).Names
            Debug.Print nm.Name & ": " & nm.RefersTo
            If Left(nm.RefersTo, Len(ws.Name) + 1) = "=" & ws.Name Then
                If Not Intersect(ws.Range(nm.RefersTo), ws.Columns(i)) Is Nothing Then
                    blnHasIt = True
                    Exit For
                End If
            End If
        Next nm
        If blnHasIt = False Then
            strColLet = CStr(ws.Cells(1, i).Address(0, 0))
            strColLet = Left(strColLet, Len(strColLet) - 1)
            Msg = MsgBox("Column " & strColLet & " has no named range.  Go there now?", vbYesNo)
            If Msg = vbYes Then
                ws.Columns(i).Select
                Exit For
            End If
        End If
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks firefytr, my vba skills aren't that great but I will try the code and see if it works. It beats going column by column!

Upvote 0
Works for me. Now, this will skip over any column if there is ANY intersect of any named range. If there should be a specific named range for a specific range of cells, you'll need to specify that and we can adapt the code to reflect such.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back