Finding values in multiple columns

SBuckley

So I am trying to find numbers that appear in more than two columns, I have a formula that works for two columns and I need to expand on that so that it looks into three columns.
The formula I have gives me either the number if it is found in the other column or a blank if it only appears in the one.

Here is the formula:
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH('[Excess Water Usage Spreadsheet.xls]Excessive_Users_2014'!G3,'[Excess Water Usage Spreadsheet.xls]Excessive_Users_2014'!$H$3:$H$4000,0)),"",'[Excess Water Usage Spreadsheet.xls]Excessive_Users_2014'!G3)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I am not sure I have understood your problem. see data here and formula in E1 (which is copied down). Is this what you want. This is only if a value in columns A is available in column B OR column C

Sheet1

*ABCDE
1657**
21091*10
3585*5
4442*4
53110**
62101*2
71102*1
8629**
95108*5
10744*7

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
E1=IF(IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$10,0)),0,MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$10,0))+IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$10,0)),0,MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$10,0))=0,"",A1)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
I will try to play around with that formula to get what I want, I just want to get the numbers that appear all three times and not the ones that appear twice. This is because I will need to do one thing with the numbers I get from the equation I posted but then I have to do something else with the second set. Below is the table with what I'm looking to get.

ABCD

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Ok just for a head's up and for anyone else who may ever have the same question. I was able to fix the code to search all three columns and find the matching values in all three.

=IF(AND(MATCH(C1,$B$1:$B$5,0),MATCH(C1,$A$1:$A$5,0)),C1,"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back