Finding website links in a column and copying to another sheet

Artagnan

Hi

I pretty much have no prior knowledge to visual basic, or the macro/function in excel for that matter, so bare with me.

I'm reading through a MASSIVE chat log that has been imported to excel. The format of the log is like this: (all fictional)
TimestampDirectionChat member ID#Chat member session IDColor codeMessage
01.01.2013RECV311111111111XLook at this file:
<files alt="sending file " dad.jpg""=""> <files alt="sending file " dad.jpg""=""> <file size="843927" index="0" time="11111111">dad.jpg</file></files></files>
And www.junkfiles.com

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I want to do is parse through the message column, and find all cell with occourences of either filesharing or containing links.
When these cells are found, I want to copy the entire associated row to another spreadsheet, and keep copying further results into the same sheet on the row below.

I attempted to do some research for a search function using regular expressions but I couldn't find a good answer or guide how to do this.
I know how to write a regular expression, but not how to utilize it in this scenario.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

-Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nitmani

This Week's Hot Topics