First Monday of every month

PCTech

Board Regular
I have 12 Spreadsheets, one for each month. I need a formula that will give me the fist Monday of the month of the current year. If I have to put January, or whatever month, in a cell somewhere, I can.
Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Try this, with the text string January in A1

=WORKDAY.INTL((A1&1)-1,1,"0111111")

Upvote 0
I have 12 Spreadsheets, one for each month. I need a formula that will give me the fist Monday of the month of the current year. If I have to put January, or whatever month, in a cell somewhere, I can.
Assuming you have put the name of the month (Jan or January, Feb or February, etc.) in cell A1, then this formula will return the date serial number for the first Monday of that month for the current year...

=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(1&A1),8)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(1&A1),6))

This formula should work on all versions of Excel, even those versions before when the WORKDAY.INTL function was introduced (which Jonmo1 showed you in Message #4).

You can see the general template formula I used for this formula in my mini-blog article here...

<!-- title / author block --> [h=3]Nth Such-And-Such Day Of The Month[/h]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, I ended up using Jonno1's method. I can follow the binary code in it. So Tuesday is 1011111 and Wednesday is 1101111 etc. And the week is easily changed by changing -1,1 to -1,2. And I put a lot of thought into how to handle the 8th because that is part of the next week by using
=IF(WORKDAY.INTL(($A$1&1)-1,1,"1110111")>WORKDAY.INTL(($A$1&1)-1,1,"0111111"),WORKDAY.INTL(($A$1&1)-1,1,"1110111"),WORKDAY.INTL(($A$1&1)-1,2,"1110111")).
After a few hours of copy and paste and changing 1's and 0's, I figured out that in C1 I could put =B1+1 and in D1 I have = B1+2 and so on. I have a tendency to over think things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back