First Post - Career Question on learning all aspects of Advanced Excel

goldhelmet25

Hello - This is my first post after just joining the forum. First of all, I apologize in advance if I am not following board protocol in terms of posting in the correct forum, specificity/general nature of question, or any other.

I need to fill holes in my EXcel background, especially in some (or many) of the more advanced areas. While applying for an internal promotion recently, I was told that I needed to be able to create and use both pivot tables and macros. I'm sure there are other advanced areas where I am lacking.

I'm trying to get as much input from many people on what are some of the best ways to learn these advanced Excel topics. I need to know - to the fullest extent possible - how to know them forwards, backwards, diagonally, etc. to the point that it is a non-issue (not a weakness) the next time I interview. I realize that there is no best way for every person. One of the best responses someone gave me in my early stages of researching this issue was "how do you learn best?" That made a lot of sense to me. Everyone is unique in the way they learn.

Assuming that the most used methods would be - either stand-alone or in some combination - read book(s), use tutorials, take classes, applying what you've learned in real life work settings, I would feel most comfortable with a text or book in hard copy that I can refer back to as a trusted reference when I'm not near a computer, in combination with some type of tutorial, preferably an interactive one where I can learn at my own pace. Please, let me know if there are other common methods that I didn't mention.

The application/tutorial aspect is especially important for this reason - in my present position, I use Excel (and have for many years), in more intermediate/basic areas, and the job does not offer opportunities to use the full blown aspects of advanced topics. Trust me, I've asked several times, and the job is what it is. The company will not pay for advanced training, classes, seminars, etc., unless it relates to my current position (which is underemployed, especially in terms of my educational background).

Without getting into my life story, which I'm sure you don't want to hear, my MBA is now 20 years old, and my undergrad degree was in 1986 (also in business, finance). I also have extensive education in economics/mathematics/statistics/accounting. I currently work for a vertically integrated apparel manufacturer, now going on 16 years, 14 years in my current position. I am 52, and competing with young people who are recent grads, a lot with experience, who grew up during the digital revolution, while I was in college when the first mac and IBM PC came out, and Visicalc, then Lotus 1-2-3 were the spreadsheets of the time. To make a long story short, I have been putting out a lot of fires in my personal life for the last almost 20 years, and now that I've finally "woken up" from that nightmare, a good portion of what should have been my best working years have passed me by. I do not want to stay where I am, and the situation is what it is. I have to make the best of it, and know that it won't be easy.

I need to learn all topics thoroughly, but smart and efficiently. I can't afford to waste more of my life on unproductive methods that eat my most precious commodity now - time.
I will be working oht his on my own time at home. I currently am using an IMAC desktop, and would still need to purchase MS Office for Apple/The Mac - which I understand is now available, but was unavailable previously (??). I will also need more training in Access, Word, Powerpoint, but one thing at a time. Excel is by far the biggest need right now, and Access would be second - but a more distant second. I realize, that is another forum for another time. One thing at a time.

I would also mention that another area that is very hot and seems to be the thing of the future in business is analytics/big data. As I said before, I am very good at math and statistics, but is analytics going to leave these disciplines in the dust in terms of practical applications in the business world, and how might that relate to Excel - i.e. using Excel in the field of analytics??

Thank you for reading my post. Any advice, help, words of wisdom you can offer, is much appreciated. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Where you stand depends on where you sit.

The answer you're likely get at your local community college is to take a class.

The answer you're likely get in talking to authors is to buy their book (and for pivot tables, Debra Dalgleish is the queen).

The answer you're likely to get here is to troll this forum and others, find the questions that interest you, try to answer them, and compare your results with those of other people.

Upvote 0
A couple of additional points:

Mac Office does not have Access (never has and probably never will). The nearest equivalent on Macs is probably FileMaker.

Mac Office also does not, currently anyway, have any of the new BI tools that come with the top-level versions of Excel: Power Pivot, Power Query, Power View (or whatever they are all called at time of reading this).

So, if you are interested in data analysis, I would, at least at the moment, recommend you get and use a Windows version of Office. If you only have an iMac, you'll need a VM solution or to set up Boot Camp (all of which will require a Windows licence as well).

Upvote 0
A couple of additional points:

Mac Office does not have Access (never has and probably never will). The nearest equivalent on Macs is probably FileMaker.

Mac Office also does not, currently anyway, have any of the new BI tools that come with the top-level versions of Excel: Power Pivot, Power Query, Power View (or whatever they are all called at time of reading this).

So, if you are interested in data analysis, I would, at least at the moment, recommend you get and use a Windows version of Office. If you only have an iMac, you'll need a VM solution or to set up Boot Camp (all of which will require a Windows licence as well).

Wow, this is really good to know. So it sounds like it would be wise for me - if I'm really serious about MS office - Advanced Excel topics, and Access, that it would be wise for me to invest in a non-Apple, computer, like a notebook? What would be the minimum requirements - just a ball park - in terms of memory, other specs I should pay attention to when buying? Specific recommendations?

Upvote 0
In terms of hardware, a decent Mac is fine (I use a MacBook Pro most of the time, which I have set up both with Boot Camp, and also Parallels virtual machine software.). Get the fastest processor you can and typically I'd suggest 8GB RAM, especially with VMs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back