First Post: Listing variables in a Column

RossiV

Hey All, new to MrExcel so please be kind, I fear my question may be viewed as simple by some.

I have a datasheet with 6000+ entries. One column has lists of companies, of which there are around 300 and their are entered into this column multiple times. I organized and identified the largest ones but a work file of 6000 is making it a long process to find every single company listed, paste their name onto a separate table to analyses. Is there a formula to take all the different company names and arrange them in a list OR list them just once in a column next to it? I will have to do this again and the analysis of the companies is the most important this but I find I need to spend all evening steadily combing the haystack for needles!

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you

RossiV

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Pivot the list, put companies in the rows section, then copy and paste them to where you want

Upvote 0
You can try:

Say your data starts in A1, click on B1 and go to data, sort & filter, advanced.
Make the list range the entire range of companies, say A1:A6000
Tick unique records only and choose 'copy to another location'
Click ok - should create a list of unique entries in the column to the right of your list of companies

Upvote 0
Hey all, found the pivot table to work (after researching it) and Excelling sort and filter also did the trick. Found another method for those who may wander on here with the same question. Select and copy the column of data and click data then remove duplicates. Left me with the unique inputs in a seperate column. Thank you Kyle 123 and Excelling!

RossiV

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back