Flexible hyperlinks - need to navigate to files and folders levels above root of location

Wellsa

I've struggled to explain this issue before (please see link to previous post below) and did not receive a response unfortunately. I got around this issue last year but I'm going to struggle this time around due to a significant increase in the data I intend on presenting.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376635

I am distributing USB devices which contain a lot of information on budgets and actual results (previously only showed budget information which was why it was easier to skirt around the issue) and these reports are all hidden and the user can access them by following links on a series of web page indexes (I created the index in Excel and simply published as a web page).

My issue is that the user is initially presented with an index which they can then choose to look at actual or budget information, and from there which year of actual or budget data. I want people to be able to navigate back to this page and any pages in between from wherever they are.

So for example if they choose to look at actual information the link would take them from the root of the USB device (where the main index is located) and go into the 'Actual' folder where they would then be presented with the option of which year's information they wanted to view, using a hyperlink in the pre-published Excel worksheet for this index as follows:

=HYPERLINK("./Actual_Reports/Actual_Year_Options.htm","Actual Reports")

If they then decided to look at budget information instead, while in the index showing the years of actual information available I need the user to be able to navigate back to the previous index (not by simply using the back button in explorer).

I have done this in Excel by manipulating the CELL("FILENAME") function but as these USB devices will be opened on many computers in various locations I need the flexibility of always navigating to and from the root of wherever is opened, which is where the "./" comes in within the hyperlink, and works great for navigating into folders, but I can't get back out of them.

Apologies for this rather long rant, any help would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to find a solution for this persistant problem.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Thanks a lot, this has sorted it! I can't believe of all the different possibilities I have tried I didn't just add another flipping dot!

I can calm down now, cheers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back