Following a link

tibsurf

Hey guys, does anybody know how to follow a link all the way through. When I double click on the cell (there's another way to follow the reference but I can't remember right now, what is it?) it takes me to the first cell referenced, but I want to go to the next and next and next....after I'm done looking at the first.

Do I need a macro, or is there a shortcut to doing that?

Thanks very much

Tibsurf

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi. Maybe CTRL-[ or menu tools, formula auditing or the special toolbar. HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0
thanks Fazza, what is the special toolbar? Ctrl [ doesn't keep going to consecutive referenced cells, though if you keep doing it. I'm looking for something like Ctrl ] goes and finds all dependent cells of a cell, taking you through the chain of dependencies. But I want to follow the path of a long formula involving multiple cells...from one to the next....

Thanks again for your help...

Upvote 0
Repeated CTRL-[ keeps going for me - I guess we are talking slightly different things.

The toolbar goes by different names depending on version, IIRC. For me, it is 'formula auditing'.

Upvote 0
I guess it does w/in the spreadsheet but I want it to open up new sheets one by one if there are cells in other sheets referred to, does it do that for you? Let's say you refer to one cell in the current sheet and then two other cells in different sheets that aren't open -- does yours follow all the way thru the three sheets (and open them if they are not?)

Thanks again for your help. Yes, I found formula auditing and one can do it but it involves extra clicking on the little other wksht icon. I want to just hit a button multiple times... not sure why it doesn't follow my formula thru to other wkbks and open them....

T.

Upvote 0
If I start at one worksheet and a final cell/formula and keep hitting CTRL-[ then yes the other worksheets are activated if required and it just keeps going to other cells.

Right in the last few words of your most recent post you mention other workbooks. I didn't test that.

To be clear: a workbook is a file, worksheets are the individual sheets within a file. Worksheets are not 'open' (your description), they are either active or not. So if you open a workbook (a file) probably one worksheet will be active. There might be other worksheets and following precedent cells can go to other worksheets - make them active. There is no opening or closing of worksheets; just activating and de-activating.

If what you want is not available by built in means - and suggest you search Excel help for formula auditing to read what is built in - then for sure there will be custom add-ins that exist (google for them) or you can write your own.

HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back