Football Data - Analysing recent team form (I have half of the solution in SUMPRODUCT)

AlphaQuail

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0csbmxO50sARnlNd203a1MyMzg/edit?usp=sharing

Above is a link to the Google Drive doc for this post

I'm trying to sum together goals scored for and against for a particular team in the previous X number of games played. The doc shows home teams in column F and away in column G. The formula I have already can only sum the previous X number of games goals (6 in my working example) for home appearances and away appearances separately. I need to tweak the formula I have to account both column F & G together.

In this example, I'm essentially looking to determine how goals AFC Wimbledon have scored over the past 6 times they have appeared (it would be 6, 4 at home and 2 away) and the number of goals score against them (it would be 7 here, 3 home and 4 away) I have highlighted these for clarity.

I've included the formulas I've been working with to date which is a combination of another post response and help from a colleague. I know this isn't far off the end product with my attempts to nest a FIND function somewhere in this looking at a CONCAT of F&G not delivering a sound result

Can any one help?

Thanks

Lee

Andrew, yes it will. Essentially I'll be updating F & G with new data each week to look at. Therefore, each time a game is played, I'll drop the oldest game from my analysis. I do however want to apply this logic to some historic data, hence why I need to copy this down over many rows

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Almost but I need to include goals scored by wimbledon when they have played away too, so when wimbledon appear in G as well as F. Goals SUM of both J & K. Does that make sense?

Lee

Upvote 0
Mainly because over the say, last 6 games, a football team plays, they could play 4 on home turf and 2 away from home or 3 and 3 or what ever. I therefore, need to review the goals scored for/against when the team appears in either column F or G collectively, not separately. This will give me the total number of goals scored by that team over the last 6 appearances whether or not they played at home or away. The current model I think just looks at last 6 home games (which doesn't include the games in between where they may have scored away from home).

The website owner where I get my data from has suggested a much more longer winded copy and paste job where I copy paste the away games under neath the home data and then apply a similar formula to what we have, which I'm trying to avoid as it's a bit labour intensive.

Upvote 0
Oh right, I think I see what you mean. Thanks for this Andrew... I appreciate your help. I'll give that a try

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew,

Last time promise... what youve gave me works!! I can get the number of goals scored by the home team at home and the goals score against the same team when they played away. I need goals score against the home team at home and goals scored when they played away.
I just need to manipulate the formula again to get the two remaining columns for Wimbledon. Either that or a formula that adds all goals over wimbledons last 6 appearances, regardless of whats in cell F14 then I can take my orginal value away from this to give me the difference which will then be the figure I seek.

I've colour coded the the numbers I still need to calculate as per below and put in row 15 what these should be?

Upvote 0
Try:

HGF =IF((COUNTIF(F$3:F13,$F13)+COUNTIF(G$3:G13,$F13))>=$K$1,SUMPRODUCT((ROW(J$3:J13)>=LARGE(((F$3:F13=$F13)+(G$3:G13=$F13))*ROW(J$3:J13),$K$1))*(F$3:F13=$F13)*J$3:J13),"n/a")

HGA =IF((COUNTIF(F$3:F13,$F13)+COUNTIF(G$3:G13,$F13))>=$K$1,SUMPRODUCT((ROW(K$3:K13)>=LARGE(((F$3:F13=$F13)+(G$3:G13=$F13))*ROW(K$3:K13),$K$1))*(G$3:G13=$F13)*K$3:K13),"n/a")

AGF =IF((COUNTIF(F$3:F13,$F13)+COUNTIF(G$3:G13,$F13))>=$K$1,SUMPRODUCT((ROW(J$3:J13)>=LARGE(((F$3:F13=$F13)+(G$3:G13=$F13))*ROW(J$3:J13),$K$1))*(F$3:F13<>$F13)*J$3:J13),"n/a")

AGA =IF((COUNTIF(F$3:F13,$F13)+COUNTIF(G$3:G13,$F13))>=$K$1,SUMPRODUCT((ROW(K$3:K13)>=LARGE(((F$3:F13=$F13)+(G$3:G13=$F13))*ROW(K$3:K13),$K$1))*(G$3:G13<>$F13)*K$3:K13),"n/a")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back