Hello, I hope everyone is doing well. I would love some help figuring out why an addition to my formula is not working. The original formula i am working with is =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("GSI",AB1145 )),"GSI",IF(AB1145="NO CAMPAIGN","NO CAMPAIGN","CAMPAIGN")) and it works just fine. However, I need to add in an additional command, which is IF(V1134=0,"ABM Local"). The thing is, when i add in this new bit of formula, i keep getting back the same error message. "you have entered in to many argument for this function." I have tried nesting this new formula and it does not seems to help. I am hoping that someone here might be able to help.Thanks for your time and attention. Best,

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
What do you want it to do for that IF statement you want to add, and where do you want it in the original?

Upvote 0
I would like the IF statement I am adding to be the false value. After following through the first check, I.e =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("GSI",AB1145 )),"GSI",IF(AB1145="NO CAMPAIGN","NO CAMPAIGN","CAMPAIGN"))

I would the if statement i am adding to check in cell V1145 for a 0. if it finds a 0 i would like the formula to place the words "ABM Local" in the cell AA1145 if there is no 0 cell V1145 I would like the formula to leave a black space in cell AA1145. I would like to place this new part of the formula at the end of the original formula. But i am not picky. it can be placed anywhere that will allow it to work.

Upvote 0
it can be placed anywhere that will allow it to work.
In nested formulas, when all the things you are checking are not checking the same cell (or are not dependent on each other), order matters, as a nested IF statement will STOP at the first true check it finds.

If you want that new condition as the last thing to check, try:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("GSI",AB1145 )),"GSI",IF(AB1145="NO CAMPAIGN","NO CAMPAIGN",IF(V1134=0,"ABM Local"," ")))[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
OK, maybe someone else will have some thoughts on this as well, but is your original formula also in cell AA1145?

I am not sure how to put the new portion in as your last part of your current formula already has a value for a "False" statement and that would be putting in "Campaign" if AB1145 <> "No Campaign".

Again, maybe someone else will have an idea, but at this time I'm not seeing it, but I am busy at work right now as well, so not fully thinking on this one.

Phil

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the help. But this did not work the way I need it to. I made a mistake in my initial question. all cells should be in row1145. After trying the formula you posted with the correct cells it is still not functioning the way i need it to. I appreciate your trying to help though Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
Please provide us with the formula:
- Your current formula
- An example that is not working. Include the cell addresses and values in these cells, and your expected output (and logic behind it).

Upvote 0
That is where i am having trouble. I would like to add this additional check in, but I am not sure how to keep the first false (Campaign) in and add the additional check.

Upvote 0
You had mentioned two different false statements:
- return "CAMPAIGN" if AB1145 does not equal "NO CAMPAIGN"
- return a blank space is V1145 does not equal 0

You need to make a precedence decision - a single cell can only return "NO CAMPAIGN" or a blank space, but not both at the same time.
So the big question is, what should be returned if both AB1145 does not equal "NO CAMPAIGN" AND V1145 does not equal 0?
Which one wins? What should be returned in this case?

Upvote 0
You had mentioned two different false statements:
- return "CAMPAIGN" if AB1145 does not equal "NO CAMPAIGN"
- return a blank space is V1145 does not equal 0

You need to make a precedence decision - a single cell can only return "NO CAMPAIGN" or a blank space, but not both at the same time.
So the big question is, what should be returned if both AB1145 does not equal "NO CAMPAIGN" AND V1145 does not equal 0?
Which one wins? What should be returned in this case?

So if both AB1145 does not equal "NO CAMPAIGN" AND V1145 does not equal 0 then that should mean there is a campaign name in AB1145 so "CAMPAIGN" should be returned. Ideally the formula will only look at V1145 after seeing there is no name or "No Campaign" in AB1145 and therefore there will be a 0 in V1145 so it will place "ABM-local" in cell AA1145.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back