force file to open in dedicated instance - revisited

SteveInAlabama

Board Regular
I do not want to hijack the original post from Aug-2009 by forum moderators Jon von der Heyden with answers from pgc01, so I am starting a new thread. (Forum Moderator: If this should be appended to the original post, please do so.) The final solution in the original thread is unclear - it seems to veer off into why Jon needed two separate instances. I tried the class module solution proposed by Jon, but found the same result as pgc01 - Jon's code did not force a second instance.

I am writing a dictator Machine Downtime application for a Dual-Monitor Kiosk PC (very limited permissions) on a factory floor. There is already an always-open Excel application that runs on the second monitor showing Machine Performance Metrics.

I want to insure that regardless of which application is opened first, the second runs in its own instance. I need this for several reasons, the primary two being : 1) The users do not want either application covering up the other one, and 2) both applications use Application.OnTime timers to automatically refresh their data based on calls to external databases. Ideally I would like to control that the Downtime app always opens on monitor 1 and the Performance Metrics app always opens on monitor 2 but that would be 'icing on the cake'.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back