Force mailto hyperlinks to use Outlook

BlissC

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way to force mailto hyperlinks in Excel workbooks to use Outlook, perhaps using VBA?

A user of one of my workbooks phoned me complaining that the link in the workbook, which should open a new email window with the email addresses pre-filled and a short message, opens up Google Chrome each time he tries to use the link. Having searched around online for fixes for this problem, I told him how to check the settings in Chrome to make sure handlers in Chrome weren't causing the issue, and to check that Outlook is set as the default mail app, which he did, but he's still getting the problem. No-one else using the same workbook is experiencing this problem. This is on a corporate system where all of the devices have Outlook installed, and the IT dept set the defaults for applications.

I know it's not the end of the world, and he can open a new email window in Outlook himself and type in the details, but it's rather frustrating, particularly as it seems to be only one user that's affected at the moment. I don't know if there is a way using VBA to force mailto's to use Outlook, but if there is I'd be grateful if you could tell me how to do this, as I'm out of ideas for fixing it.

Thanks,

Bliss

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi Dave,

Yes, that was one of the pages/solutions I found. I gave the user step by step instructions, including that it might say 'site settings' rather than 'content settings', and sent him a couple of screenshots I took while I was looking for it on my PC. There'll only be Outlook, MS Edge and Chrome installed on his machine because that's all IT install. I'll ask him if he's used the web-based Gmail on his work laptop.

Upvote 0
All worth a look. Particularly if it's Win10.
Get him to check Outlook is set as the default Client.

Win10

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back