Forecasting in Excel using a Log function

aha_cupcake

Hi guys!!
I need to forecast in Excel using a Logarithmic function for the following data:

YearYear NumberProfit

<colgroup><col style="width: 73px"><col width="105"><col width="76"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I need to find the forecasted values for 2016 and 2017 as well as graph to the log function. But I don't know how to do the equation. Can someone help me?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hi guys!!
I need to forecast in Excel using a Logarithmic function for the following data:

YearYear NumberProfit

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need to find the forecasted values for 2016 and 2017 as well as graph to the log function. But I don't know how to do the equation. Can someone help me?
Plotting Profit vs Year Number produces a straight line conforming to the equation: Profit = 19163*YrNo + 23745 with an R-squared fitting factor of 0.9969.

Why do you need a log function to forecast a nearly perfect straight line fit?

Upvote 0
Plotting Profit vs Year Number produces a straight line conforming to the equation: Profit = 19163*YrNo + 23745 with an R-squared fitting factor of 0.9969.

Why do you need a log function to forecast a nearly perfect straight line fit?

For our assignment they asked us to forecast using three different estimates - a best case scenario, worst case scenario and best estimate. So while it does appear there is a straight line I still need to consider other options.

Upvote 0
For our assignment they asked us to forecast using three different estimates - a best case scenario, worst case scenario and best estimate. So while it does appear there is a straight line I still need to consider other options.
Good luck with your assignment!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back