Forecasting resourcing using S-Curve and Polynomials

JBKool

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a worksheet that will allow me to dynamically forecast resource requirements for projects.

The idea is that the sheet requires data relating to project start and end dates, as well as the estimated resource effort at the project's maximum. Using a 'standard' S-curve, I want to then apply that equation to forecast the resource requirements across the lifetime of the project.

Having plotted my standard S-Curve over a 12-month period and generating a polynomial equation, I can then apply that equation to each period to generate the resource estimate by month. So far so good. The issue is that the equation is only good for projects that are exactly 12-months. Is there anyway to create a formula / equation that can use a similar distribution that flexes when the period changes (i.e. the S-curve becomes simplified as the time period compresses, but more detailed and subtle as the time period increases, but generally keeps to the same curve).

This might not be the best way to do this, so any other suggestions of how I can create a formula that uses a 'standard' series of multipliers that can be scaled up and down would be helpful.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back