Forecasting template to shift data across fiscal years (adjacent cells)

MikethePlugin

Hi everyone – I'm new to VBA and have been tasked with building a forecast template for my team. The template will be used to forecast project expenses for FTEs and consultants across fiscal years and it needs a what-if function to change the expected start date of the project allocations.

Context: Each role, FTE or consultant, has a rate. This rate is multiplied against the total budget hours (or allocations) per resource and then rolled up into a total spend which is separated by fiscal year on a summary tab.

For example, a project is supposed to start in FY17 December, but we want to see how it would impact our FY finances if the project started in FY17 April and carried over into FY18. I'd like a macro to shift the start of the allocations in December to April and carry over any remainder to allocations to FY18.

I envisioned this with a dropdown cell to select FY and Month to shift data to, but anyway that is easy for a user to shift the data would be great.

Does anyone know of any materials on shifting data like this? or could help me out?

Thanks!
Mike

-I want to attached a sample file here... but cant figure out how :(.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back