Form Creation and Programming

marcusja2002

Board Regular
All

I was able to find a good functional VBA code to place form data into a database(almost completed just need to add defects). See below.

What I want to be able to do is instead of having a column for each of my defect families and types, I want a way to have the program review what is checked and input a new row for every defect type that is checked. If there is a single defect it will be entered once when I run the submit code, if there are multiple checks, it will add a new row with all the txtbox data and the defect family and type.

Private Sub cmbsubmit_Click()
Dim iRow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = Worksheets("DynoRepairData")

iRow = ws.Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlValues).Row + 1

If Trim(Me.txtjo.Value) = "" Then
Me.txtjo.SetFocus
MsgBox "Please enter a Job Number"
Exit Sub
End If

With ws
.Cells(iRow, 1).Value = Me.txtjo.Value
.Cells(iRow, 2).Value = Me.txtdte.Value
.Cells(iRow, 3).Value = Me.txtmdl.Value
.Cells(iRow, 4).Value = Me.txtsrl.Value
.Cells(iRow, 5).Value = Me.txttchn.Value
.Cells(iRow, 6).Value = Me.txtep.Value
.Cells(iRow, 7).Value = Me.txthtvlt.Value
.Cells(iRow, 8).Value = Me.txtwt.Value
End With

'clear the data
Me.txtjo.Value = ""
Me.txtdte.Value = ""
Me.txtmdl.Value = ""
Me.txtsrl.Value = ""
Me.txttchn.Value = ""
Me.txtep.Value = ""
Me.txthtvlt.Value = ""
Me.txtwt.Value = ""
Me.txtjo.SetFocus
End Sub

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I found another piece of code I think could help

[FONT=&quot]Sub[/FONT][FONT=&quot] TextBox_ActiveX_Loop()[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dim[/FONT][FONT=&quot] txtbx [/FONT][FONT=&quot]As[/FONT][FONT=&quot] OLEObject[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]'Loop through each ActiveX Control TextBox in ActiveSheet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]For[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Each[/FONT][FONT=&quot] txtbx [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ActiveSheet.OLEObjects[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If[/FONT][FONT=&quot] TypeName(txtbx.Object) = "TextBox" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Debug.Print txtbx.Name[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]End[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Next[/FONT][FONT=&quot] txtbx[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]End[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sub

The problem is, I'm not 100% sure how this works. Does it automatically know the txtboxes names or its just looking for any text boxes? There are specific boxes I would want to skip checking since they are intended to be there for every defect text box. [/FONT]

Upvote 0
Trying to use scripts you have found but do not understand is hard to do.
You said:
it will add a new row with all the txtbox data and the defect family and type.

Where are we going to find the:
defect family and type.

And you want all this data to be entered into column (1)
one row after the other.

What will go into columns 2 to ???

Upvote 0
Parse the txtbx.Name to get what you want. Maybe you want prefix check for the Debug line:
Code:
if Left(txtbx.Name, 3) ="txt" then
  Debug.Print "Will do my thing here", txtbx.Name
  Else
    Debug.Print "Skipped", txtbx.Name
End If

Upvote 0
The 2 sets of code you posted seem to be for different types of textboxes.

The first appears to be for textboxes on a userform and the other for ActiveX textboxes on a worksheet.

What is it you actually have?

Upvote 0
I agree this is hard, I'm very much a beginner, so I'm trying to throw darts at a dart board in an attempt to learn what I'm supposed to be asking.

I have a form I created with a mixture of text boxes check boxes labels and Option buttons.

My goal is to have the program take a list of standard information; job order, date, operator etc and put it in the next available row and in the same preset columns every time I run the program.

The initial program does that if I have only a single defect. The problem comes in is when I have multiple. My goal is to have it look through my list of defect check boxes and everywhere it finds a check I get a new row of data. All the standard information along with the defect family connected to a check box, the actual defect connected to its own check box (both in their own column) and a txtbox that is next to the actual defect with times.

The end data would look something like below:

Job Order #DateModel #Serial #TechnicianEngine Part #Heater VoltageWattageFailed SystemFailure DescriptionTime to Fix
1231/1/20171231234JAM12355LeaksFuel60
1231/1/20171231234JAM12355Oil GaugeOil Gauge30

<colgroup><col width="77" style="width:58pt"> <col width="75" style="width:56pt"> <col width="58" style="width:44pt"> <col width="52" style="width:39pt"> <col width="73" style="width:55pt"> <col width="87" style="width:65pt"> <col width="101" style="width:76pt"> <col width="60" style="width:45pt"> <col width="94" style="width:71pt"> <col width="126" style="width:95pt"> <col width="75" style="width:56pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Another alternative to inputing the failed system, I'm thinking is an if/then statement or something that points toward a specific system with out haveing the need for a check box.

Thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0
A quick Lay out of the report: Legend (L) = Label, (T) = Text box, (C) = Check Box, (O) = Options Button, * = item would have its own dedicated column

Job Order (L) ==> *[___] (T) Date (L) ==> *[___] (T) Model (L) ==> *[___] (T)

Serial# (L) ==> *[___] (T) Technician (L) ==> *[___] (T)

Date (L) ==> *[___] (T) Heater (L) ==> *[___] (T)

Wattage (L) ==> *[___] (T)

Leak (C) CAC (C) ==> [___] (T)

Fuel (C) ==> [___] (T) Engine Start (C) ==> [___] (T)
Oil (C) ==> [___] (T) Engine Stop (C) ==> [___] (T)
Coolant (C) ==> [___] (T) Engine Performance (C) ==> [___] (T) & *[___] (T) one box is for extra information
Cool loop (C) ==> [___] (T)

Panel (C) ==> [___] (T)
Power (C) ==> [___] (T) Alt(C) ==> [___] (T)
Pick (C) ==> [___] (T) Cool Sel (C) ==> [___] (T)

Work with switch (L) ==> *[Yes (O) No (O)]

Repairs & comments (L) ==> *[___] (T)

Upvote 0
Check box how to change true / false to other possibilities

I have multiple check boxes. Lets say one is called bob and the other bill

If I check one that says bob I want to input the word bob into cell A1, but if a different box is checked I want bill input into the same cell.

There could be up to 20 items that could show up in a cell, so I want the specific name to be connected to the check box, not an if than formula pre populated in the cell.

Thank you in advance,

Upvote 0
Re: Check box how to change true / false to other possibilities

you dont use a screwdriver to hammer in nails. The right tool for the right job.
If you want the values BOB , BILL, etc, then use a combo box and fill it with BOB , BILL, and 20 other values.
Not a 2 value checkbox.

Upvote 0
Re: Check box how to change true / false to other possibilities

Let me state it another way

For my form to function the way I want it, I need the check box to return a word instead of true and a blank ("") if false.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back