form.show = Catastrophic Failure

mark.mba

The app causes a Catastrophic Failure on some computers. At my office we all have the same computers but it does not fail on all of them. I have run it on old old laptops and it works fine.

On my computer it fails as soon at i enable Macros and it starts to load the form and it failed on another computer once. Most of the time it works. I have startup.show (startup is the name of my first form) in my workbook open and when it fails it debugs to that statment.

I can export the forms out of the project, delete them from the project and pull them back in and it works, but if i mod the forms any crash.

I know my code is a little sloppy but hopefully one of you guys can figure out what the deal is. It is driving me nuts.

Download At
http://www.excelforum.com/attachmen...-show-catastrophic-failure-form-front-end.zip

Mark

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Just downloaded your file and the VBA project is too large to easily follow.

Try stepping with F8 in the UserForm_Initialize event handler of your StartUp userform and see where it breaks .That could give you a clue .

Regards.

Upvote 0
What's the point of this..

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Dim lngWinState As XlWindowState

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        lngWinState = .WindowState
        .WindowState = xlMaximized
        Me.Move 0, 0, .Width, .Height
        .WindowState = lngWinState
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With

End Sub

on the ones that fail have you tried commenting this out and opening it. It worked fine with me both normally and with that commented out.

Upvote 0
What's the point of this..

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Dim lngWinState As XlWindowState

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        lngWinState = .WindowState
        .WindowState = xlMaximized
        Me.Move 0, 0, .Width, .Height
        .WindowState = lngWinState
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With

End Sub

on the ones that fail have you tried commenting this out and opening it. It worked fine with me both normally and with that commented out.

This makes it open to fit the screen size. I have tried taking it out and it did not seem to help. Don't really know what is up.

Upvote 0
Mark

Why do you have 9 almost identical forms?

Which have almost identical code?

I know this isn't anything to do with your original question but I think it might be a good idea to rethink things.

I've not fully examined everything but why not just have 1 form to replace the 9?

Upvote 0
Mark

Why do you have 9 almost identical forms?

Which have almost identical code?

I know this isn't anything to do with your original question but I think it might be a good idea to rethink things.

I've not fully examined everything but why not just have 1 form to replace the 9?

You are right, one form would be better and save space. All the forms do something different, so it is the best way for me to keep everything together. So when the program was changed i could just copy the forms and edit them. I am on a deadline so I had to just bang it out.

Mark

Upvote 0
Mark

I think we all understand deadlines, and if what you have works - even if only for the majority of machines - it works.:)

But in this case I think it might actually have been easier to use one form.

The changes needed to implement seem to be minimal.

One simple one would be to change the Action textbox to a combobox.

Upvote 0
Mark

I think we all understand deadlines, and if what you have works - even if only for the majority of machines - it works.:)

But In this case I think it might actually have been easier to use one forms.

to be honest I think this might even be the root cause of your issue. Maybe cleaning this all up will help you.

Upvote 0
Mark

But in this case I think it might actually have been easier to use one form.

That is a good idea. If I get time I will rebuild it that way. My company is growing very quickly and I am doing the work of two people, they are getting me some help, I have explained that I am not designing programs and reports, I am just building them.

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back