Format and Display of Date (d)

Pete Pierron

Am attempting to put a date into a single wide column where cell is a merged cell (one over other) with word wrap on. Sheet width is limited and need day of month displayed in single wide cell.
This is part of a Gnatt Chart.

Any help is appreciated.

Pete

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Welcome to the board.

I do not understand what you are trying to do. With today's date as an example, what result are you trying to produce?

Upvote 0
Using today's date as a start, I will have a 4 month period of daily dates running horizontally across page. In order to show all dates of the months I would like to display them in a vertical merged cell. They need to be real dates not just a general number. I can get this to work if I use numbers, but not as a date. By vertical merged cell I mean two cells in different rows directly above one another. This cell I also formated "wrap text" with the thought that this would put the two digits one over the other in the merged cell. I do not have sufficient room/width in the spreadsheet to display each date with its numbers displayed side by side, like we normally expect to see a date displayed.

I will not be displaying Month or Year, just the date (day of month) such as 13 14 15, etc. Created a custom date of (d) to display only the date.

Upvote 0
So, if I understand correctly, you are wish to consolidate each day into it's particular month when you merge?

Why not just custom format the date

Format>Cells>Custom

"mmmm" would show January, February..etc

"mm/yy" would show 01/05, 02/05 etc..

Upvote 0
Hello, in my testing, the only way I found to get the appearance you desire is to input the double-digit dates as just numbers (e.g. 10, 11). When Excel looks at them as dates, it doesn't seem to allow word wrapping.

-farnuckl

edit: You could also try rotating the text 90 degrees, that would allow the same width and let you keep the formating and date info the same. You just need to play with the alignment to make it look alright.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.
As Farnuckl has noted, word wrap does not seem to function on a real date; works fine on general numbers.
The Gnatt Chart needs to display months worth of dates in horizontal fashion therefore not providing a lot of space if displaying more than one character wide.
Still looking for help, if anyone can come up with a fix.

Upvote 0
Have you tried formatting the cell and doing the 90 degree rotation? That seems to be the obvious choice...although I had guess you already gave that a shot.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions!
With the brainstorming you did and more stewing on my part, I found a workaround.
I have inserted a row with the full date information that the Gnatt Chart needs and then changed the font color to blank/white. Will have to protect it, but that is easy.
Now I can have the date format I need for the conditional formating formula and the visible display that makes it useable.

Again, THANKS!

Pete

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back