Format cell based on list

John_Whin

Board Regular
Platform
  1. Windows
Creating conditional formatting based on letter in a list. This is for Wordle and I'm trying to highlight with cell color letters that are wrong. So see in image my first two starting words, for this example I've entered CONES and TRAIL as my first two words. So for this example the only correct letters are "O" "A" and "I". So I've entered the wrong letters in column F and will continue to add to column F more wrong letters with additional words.

Anytime I try to use a wrong letter that I put in the list in column F in any cell from A2 -> E26 I want to color the cell Blue. So it would look like this example image. When I enter a new word like CAIRN I want it to automatically format the wrong letters that I will continue to add to column F. I want it to do the same thing with my alphabet from H1 -> AG1

Been a while since I ask anything here and the Moderator Fluff has helped me many times before.

Thanks! I'll check back in a couple hours.

Mr Excel.JPG

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Assuming that you only get 6 guesses, like you do in standard Wordle games, select the range A2:E7, go to Conditional Formatting, select the Formula option (last one), and enter this formula:
Excel Formula:
=AND(A2<>"",COUNTIF($F$2:SF$27,A2)>0)
and choose your desired color fill option.

This should do exactly what you want.

Upvote 0
Solution
The gal who introduced me to Wordle a couple weeks ago and I agreed not to use any online helper other than a dictionary. I don't use the 2 words I have in this example since they came from a suggested starting pair online. She has an excel spreadsheet of her own that she used for months and I'm trying to create one for myself. That being said I will look at what you suggested out of curiosity but not use them since for us anyway that would take some of the fun out of it. Thanks though.

Upvote 0
Assuming that you only get 6 guesses, like you do in standard Wordle games, select the range A2:E7, go to Conditional Formatting, select the Formula option (last one), and enter this formula:
Excel Formula:

This should do exactly what you

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:

This should do exactly what you want.
Joe4, This is exactly what I needed for the first part! How can I adapt it to do the same thing across H1 -> AG1? Thanks very much, John

Upvote 0
Joe4, This is exactly what I needed for the first part! How can I adapt it to do the same thing across H1 -> AG1? Thanks very much, John
Select cells H1:AG1 and use this Conditional Formatting formula:
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($F$2:SF$27,H1)>0

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help!
I may want to try one more thing if I can describe it better in a few days, I'll reply to this again so you'll see it if you are willing to help more. Thanks for your patience.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back