format characters within formula

rline101

Board Regular
I know you can format a cell to be superscript. However, I need to be able to format part of a cell; ie within a formula, so that only the bit I want is formatted superscript.

ie. A1 is happy
B1 is day
C1 is =A1&B1

Even if I format cell B1 to be superscript, when it's transferred into C1, the superscript is gone. Can I make just the word day in cell C1 to be superscript?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Not in a formula, it will take VBA to do that, but then the formula will be gone.

Code:
Sub test()
Range("C1") = Range("A1") & " " & Range("B1")
Range("C1").Characters(Len(Range("A1")) + 2, Len(Range("B1"))).Font.Superscript = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
OK. I did a little googling and found three sites which say it's easy to do this. The sites are
http://jldexcel.blogspot.com/2006/06/formatting-part-of-cell-content-in-ms.html

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/01/11/xcel_annoy.html

http://www.jegsworks.com/Lessons/numbers/format/step-partial-autoformat.htm

Anyway, I follow the instructions and when I change the formatting I can see my changes take place, but as soon as I click the tick, or hit enter, the formatting disappears.

Can anyone explain why my formatting appears and then disappears as soon as I click out of the cell. The first link is the easiest to implement.

Thanks. This is driving me crazy, particularly with these sites saying it's easy.

Upvote 0
None of those examples use formulas, as I said before you can not format part of a cell with a formula. You can have a formula to get a result, do a copy and Paste Special Values, and then manually format the result, but then the formula will be gone.

Upvote 0
Right. I guess what didn't make sense was why I couldn't even replicate on my excel what was done on those examples. No formulas involved...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back