Format font colour based on another cell contents

Thehub

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to create a banking sheet and I need to change the font colour of two cells based on the contents of another cell eg:
The font colour of cells b1 and c1 is standard black and remain black unless cell a1 contains a value The cell font of b1 and b2 then change to another colour.
Would like to do this without resorting to VB if possible.
Thanks in advance to all who have a look at this.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
This can be done pretty easily with Conditional Formatting.
Just select cells B1 and B2, go to Conditional Formatting, choose the formula option (last one), and enter the formula:
Excel Formula:
=$A$1="your value"
where your value is whatever value you are looking for,
and then choose your desired formatting color.

Upvote 0
This can be done pretty easily with Conditional Formatting.
Just select cells B1 and B2, go to Conditional Formatting, choose the formula option (last one), and enter the formula:
Excel Formula:
=$A$1="your value"
where your value is whatever value you are looking for,
and then choose your desired formatting color.
That worked up to a point. I should have explained better. What I'm trying to create is a banking sheet that shows credits and debits and a balance. When the sheet is balanced against a statement the A cell will contain a letter. This changes the font colour in the B and B cells to the required colour. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Upvote 0
So, is it that column A contains a single character or nothing?
If so, then try something like:
Excel Formula:
=LEN($A1)=1
for your Conditional Formatting Rule.

If that still does not help, please show us an actual example of what your data looks like.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Solution
So, is it that column A contains a single character or nothing?
If so, then try something like:
Excel Formula:
=LEN($A1)=1
for your Conditional Formatting Rule.

If that still does not help, please show us an actual example of what your data looks like.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
Thank you. That worked perfectly. (y)

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back