Format number of characters in cell

capitalmediagroup

Hi there,

I've got a column within Excel which contains account references in the format of straight letters. For example: WOODYSBARN

Basically, we need to truncate all of those account references to be 8 characters rather than 10, shaving two letters off the end. Trouble is, there's 3,900 records - and we don't want to do this manually.

Is there any formatting rule we can use to remove a couple of letters off the end of the words in each cell we require?

I'd be grateful if you would save my sanity....

Kind regards
Stuart

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Try =left(a1,8) assuming your full field is in a1. You can insert a column and do this for all of your records. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board!

If you change the format of the cells the extra characters will still be there, just hidden, although I'm not entirely sure you can truncate text with fomatting in the same way you can numbers.

Try using text to columns, fixed width, set to 8 characters wide and choose "do not import column (skip)" for the second column.

Upvote 0
Hi Jason

Thanks for this. How specifically do I do what you've suggested?

The column is already there, do I select the whole column and use an option from the toolbar?

Thanks
Stuart

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2007
Select the whole column, then select the Data tab and click the "Text to Columns" button on the "Data Tools" panel. When the dialog box appears, select "Fixed width" and click the Next button. In the "Data preview" table, click at position 8 on the "ruler" (if you miss, you can slide the line that appears back and forth as needed) and then click the Next button. Make sure the Destination field is showing the address for the first cell in the selected column (it should do this by default), then click the anywhere in the second column showing in the table and put a mark in the "Do not import column (skip)" option button, then click the Finish button.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back