Format Painter in a Macro

sharpeye

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys, Im having an issue I hope someone can help me with

I have my spreadsheet (which is a work of art) but I have noticed an issue using too many conditional format rules in a single cell. When I have just checked the desination cell for the format paint, instead of copying my conditional format rules once, its copying all the rules for each cell multiple times. Makes me wonder if it would copy the conditional format rules once each instead of multiple times, my excel would stop crashing.
Im using Excel 2007.

I have my row number 1 which is my conditional formatting template row and my row number 2 is the data id like to apply conditional formatting to. I run a macro to sort the data im using into the relevant cells and once all the data is in place the macro highlighs row 1, where one of my cells for example has 3 conditional formating rules, 1 to paint the cell red, one for green and one for yellow and then copies those formats onto my live data but instead of just copying once, its pasting the formatting rules 3 times. This becomes very memory intensive with the amount of data I am working with and eventually when the macro tries to paste the raw data into the relevant cell, I get an error about pasting the data into the cell, then excel hangs and then I loose any unsaved changes and have to start again.

Is there anything I can do to stop the format painter applying these rules multiple times??
Many Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
As part of what I hope to do if I can get this issue resolved is to apply a lot more conditional format rules to a single cell. I understand there are limitations to the number of rules I can apply so I hope to find an alternative method.
What I'd like to do is for example

if M1>90% paint the cell yellow
If M1=89% and N1>=1.5 paint the cell yellow
If M1=88% and N1>=1.86 paint the cell yellow
If M1=88% and N1<1.86 and N1>=1.4 paint the cell red

and so on. I know theres no way I can have as many conditional format rules as I would like, especially using 2007
Is there a different way I would be able to do something along these lines?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back