format Question. WHY?

The Idea Dude

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Make a column width 33.71 wide (241 pixels), and enter in this sentence.

I went to the beach on the weekend and I saw a big fat turtle and a small fish ball

Then format the cell to have word wrap. Select format row height auto fit. WHY doesn’t the row go to 2 cells high? Why is there a blank line worth of space at the top of the row when the text will fit in 2 lines?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I do not know why this happens. But this happening only if your font size is 10. If you change the font size then that balnk line is going off.

GNaga

Upvote 0
You must also format the cell for "Vertical: Top" when you use "Word-Wrap" they are both on the Alignment page. This will fix your problem. JSW

P.S. The default is bottom for cell placement, so Excel detects the "Text" is longer than the cell width, hence the first new line with the exsisting text at the bottom. Then it puts as much as it can into the bottom of the cell, finds that it needs a new line to finish the text and adds another for the rest of the text. You now have three lines for two lines of text. Add vertical alignment=Top and you nolonger need the first blank line.

_________________<INPUT type="JSW" value=" Excel On... Coder's!" ID=Text1><spanstyle='font-size:36.0pt;color:#FFCC00'>JSW<o:p></o:p></span>[/b]</p><spanstyle='font-size:36.0pt;color:#FFCC00'>Try and try again, " The way of the coder!"<o:p></o:p></span>[/b]
This message was edited by Joe Was on 2002-09-15 09:50

Upvote 0
I tried the vertical alignment thingy when this question was first posed (I love an easy question).

It doesn't work!!! - you then end up with a blank line at the bottom.

Furthermore, if you do exactly as the postee suggested and enter the text in A1, then double click on the line between the A and B column headers (to auto size column A), Excel wraps the text onto a third line.

Why? I think that this is a really interesting question, if a bit trivial in the overall scheme of things.

[Edited twice because I do not know my top from my bottom anymore!]
This message was edited by VoG™ on 2002-09-15 14:51
This message was edited by VoG™ on 2002-09-15 15:07

Upvote 0
VoG,
I can not duplicate your problem.

Auto-size and manual format to Vertical:Top both work, on the text provided, but I must say that I have run into this in the past and Vertical:Top always fixes it. I use Excel 2000 and XP? JSW

Upvote 0
Everything works alright for me, until I change the font to size to 14 or 20 then I get the blank line!

Upvote 0
I get exactly the same as The Idea Dude whichever vertical alignment I use.

I have Windows XP SP1 and Office XP SP2.

I have tried looking for phantom spaces at the beginning and end of the string but there aren't any.

It isn't a "problem" for me but I posted to show that The Idea Dude is not alone.

Mystery??

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried the suggestions (top alignment, font size) but have not been able to fix the situation.

My font properties are: Arial, Regular, size 10.

The sentence I used was as an example, I have lots of other sentences, so if I change the font size to fix the example sentence, another sentence will suffer the same problem.

I am using Win 2000 with Excel 2000.

If you find any other solutions, please post.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back