Formatting cell problem

alex_peng

Office Version
  1. 2013
)​
I am having an issue converting a cell in an imported xml table. The date cell in the xml table comes in as a "custom" format and is structured like a standard date format(12-Jun-20) when i click on cell if I look in the box that displays the value it shows me the date I am actually looking for (2020-06-12).
In excel if i select cell properties and change format to date it changes it correctly to the date format I am looking for (2020-06-12)
The problem is in vba. I need to extract the month "mm" and use in a later formula. Here is a snippet of my code.

IESODATMonthRaw = ws3.Range("b2").NumberFormat = "date"
Or
IESODATMonthRaw = ws3.Range("b2").NumberFormat = "yyy-mm-dd"
Both these statements return the wrong data. Gives me the following
12:00:00:AM
I have another statement later that extracts the month from it and it returns a value of 12. (which it looks like it is getting from the original data)
IESODATMonth = Month(IESODATMonthRaw)

B2 shows what appears to be a date but you can see what it shows in the value box is different.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
As I have asked what does the code I posted return.

Upvote 0
IMG_7912.jpg
IMG_7912.jpg
IMG_7911.jpg

Upvote 0
Im not sure you can see the excel cell shows 12-jun-20 is there a way to post the excel file. Does it have anything to do with it being a custom data type in the b2 cell??

Upvote 0
Not sure what your last image is supposed to tell me but the only way that you can get a 1 from b2 if b2 in the sheet that you want has 43994 in the cell is if ws3 is referring to the wrong sheet.

Edit
Does it have anything to do with it being a custom data type in the b2 cell??
No, formats do not affect the underlying value.

Upvote 0
I dont get it ... i check the ws3 and it is definitely pointing to the correct sheet. I copied the section of the worksheet above so you can see the value in B2 is 12-12-20. The only thing I can do is post my excel sheet and see if you see anything else. This is definitely frustrating

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back