Formatting cells for navigational degrees

imdg69

I am conducting site audits which require GPS readings to be taken and placed in Excel 2000 cells. No one I've spoken with knows how to have the numbers displayed with the degree character. Can this be done, and if so, how?

Can anyone help make this spreadsheet look more professional than just double spacing before the hours numbers?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Or you could paste this into a standard module:<pre>Function Degree(St As String)
Degree = s & Chr(176)
End Function</pre>
Then type for example,<pre>=Degree(123)</pre> into a cell.
This message was edited by Swamp Thing on 2002-08-28 21:07

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, but I don't think I gave enough info. I am on thr road so using a laptop without a number pad and using the "alt" key just creates a "beep". I am trying to format two cells to where I can just type in 8 numbers, and the cell formats it into the form " ##(degree symbol)##.###(feet symbol) ".
Example
82°41.989'
I was able to add the macro Swamp Thing
gave me which enabled me to create the cell I pasted above, but this is very time consuming.
Is there a way to format these cells so that anyone can open the workbook and just enter numbers into the cells and it come out looking like the example.
I'm sure for the pro's in here, it's a snap, but for the Excel beginner like me, it's real frustrating.
Oh, and after the macro was in place I used the formula " =82&Degree(2)&41.989&"'" ".

Upvote 0
Use custom formatting. Enter this

##"º"##"."###'

This will display as 89º34.567'

HTH
This message was edited by lenze on 2002-08-30 12:54

Upvote 0
You could place the following as your custom number format:

##"°"##"."###"'"

It ain't pretty and I wouldn't want to do calculations off that, but if you just want the look this'll do it for you.

g-

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, but with custom formatting you need to be able to use hold the "alt" button while typing the numbers 0176 to insert the degree symbol. My laptop won't let me do that function.

I appriciate the help though, keep trying.

Upvote 0
By the way, pasting into the "type:" line of custom formatting isn't an option either. Maybe I can take my laptop to Best Buy and unplug a USB keybourd from a display without anyone saying anything? What do you think?

Anyway, it's turning out to be a good problem.

Upvote 0
GOT IT!!!

I had a brain fart.....just used the "ctrl" "V" function to paste into the formula. Wish I'd thought about that three days ago. Works like a charm. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back