formatting cells

ockie

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
seeking help on my following problem
I am trying to color a cell eg A1. if there is a value in B1, C1 etc A1 will turn yellow. but as soon as there is no value in a cell eg D1 A1 reverts to normal. In summary A1 will be highlighted as long as the is a value in B1:Z1
thanks robert

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
How about this: select the A column and using this condition/formula for your conditional formatting:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:Z1<>""))<>0

Upvote 0
Hi Robert,

This can be done via Conditional Formatting. Try the following five steps:

1. Select A1 on the tab you want the fill to happen
2. Click the Home ribbon and from the Styles tab select Conditional Formatting > New Rule
3. From the New Formatting Rule dialog select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" and in the "Format values where this formula is true" text box enter =COUNTA(B1:Z1)>0
4. Click Format and from the Format Cells dialog click the Fill (last) tab and select whatever colour you want cell A1 to be filled with is there's anything in B1:Z1
5. Click OK x 2

Test by putting some data in any cell in the range B1:Z1

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Hi kweaver,
thanks for your reply, this works until you leave a cell blank. My aim is to have A1 yellow when every cell in row A is filled. If a cell is missed then A1 reverts back to its normal colour.I will then copy down for the rows i wish this to be active on.

this is for a winter swimming club and this will be a quick way of seeing who has turned up every week.

Upvote 0
Hi Trebor76,
this works until you leave a cell blank eg C1

Upvote 0
this works until you leave a cell blank eg C1

So if you want cell A1 to only change colour once every cell in B1:Z1 has something in it then change the formula in step 3 of my solution to this:

=COUNTA(B1:Z1)=25

Upvote 0
Hi trebor,

I would like this to be progressive eg A1 is yellow when there is a number in B1 , then stays yellow when C1 is populated D1 etc, I would like A1 to revert to its normal colour when there is no data in a cell be that F1 J1 , I only want A1 to be yellow as the row fills up as soon as a cell is missed A1 reverts to normal colour.
I use this sheet for a sporting event, This is like an attendance sheet each cell is a week that someone has attended. A1 is yellow only when the row has 100% attendance.

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused :confused:

Here you say...
I would like this to be progressive eg A1 is yellow when there is a number in B1 , then stays yellow when C1 is populated D1 etc

...but then here you say this:
A1 is yellow only when the row has 100% attendance

Which is it?

Upvote 0
Hi Trebor,
I would like A1 to be yellow when something is put in B1 and stay yellow when there is something in C1 etc, as soon as there is a cell that contains no data A1 reverts back.
the 100% attendance.
the only row that A3 would be yellow would be row 3.
cell A1 would have been yellow until column E
row A2 would be yellow till row D
ABCDEEGHIJKLM
row 1321451123456
row 2214443123456
row 31234565432141

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back