SAYSoccer

I work for a medium sized business and we use a lot of spreadsheets to organize members and such. I need help with a problem we have been having with excel lately if anyone can offer advice. We use a few large spreadsheets that are all saved in a storage device that everyone in the office can access and use through the network. Occasionally, when we go back through the spreadsheets, a column will have moved upwards or downwards and won't match up with its original row, but it isn't one entire column or all the columns, only a few spots in one column. It has to be manually fixed. It happens mostly in one certain spreadsheet and it happens rather frequently. Any advice would be great and much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
SAYSoccer,

Do you mean that one cell is moving up? Meaning that someone is inserting/deleting and shifting the cells? The phrase "one column moves up" doesn't really make sense to me. I think finding out what is causing that to happen would help rectify it. If you know why, perhaps some code can be designed to prevent it.

Upvote 0
I thought I might have been unclear, as I can't really tell what the problem is myself. The original document does not get sorted or edited, we do that in new versions. Yet on the original, we will have problems upon opening it that makes it look like someone deleted a cell in one column, and the rest of the data from that column moves up, so that someones name will not match with the right company, but the one above it. It only happens in one specific column however. But we have multiple blocks of data with several blank lines between them and these blank lines seem to absorb the upwards movement and preserve the data, as everything below them is in the right spot again. I'm very confused because it seems as if the problem is as simple as someone deleting cells, but the data hasn't been changed in months if not years. Has anyone heard of a problem like this before?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back