Ramballah

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

I have a few columns where cells will be formatted as followed:
1622633667936.png

Some cells have letters in them and some dont. However due to this all the cells formatting is plain text. So if i use =ISTEXT then even the cells with just numbers will come up as true.
I need to mark down the cells that contain letters but by using ISTEXT, the ones without letters will also get marked. I tried multiple ways to use custom formatting but I just couldn't find any results.
Google bare no fruits either. So hopefully someone can help me out.
I should mention this is currently in google spreadsheets but I can also convert it to Excel 360.

Thanks in advance,
Ram

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Does this help?

=IF(SUM(IFERROR(FIND(CHAR(SEQUENCE(58)+64),A1),0))>0,"TRUE","FALSE")

Upvote 0
How about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
MN
2K 5TRUE
36 5 8FALSE
410 2 JTRUE
59 7 8FALSE
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
N2:N5N2=ISERROR(SUBSTITUTE(M2," ","")*1)

Upvote 0
I reckon this would work but sadly the moment I just enter '3' numbers it converts it automatically into a date. So if I enter 5 8 9 it will turn into 2005 8 9 which becomes a problem. So is this possible with just formatting? The only reason I currently have 3 numbers properly shown is because the formatting is plain text. I might also just be dumb right now.

Upvote 0
If you want the numbers to stay as just 3 numbers format the cell as text, or put an ' before the first number

Upvote 0
How about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
MN
2K 5TRUE
36 5 8FALSE
410 2 JTRUE
59 7 8FALSE
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
N2:N5N2=ISERROR(SUBSTITUTE(M2," ","")*1)
I tried this formula, however it seems that something goes wrong. I edited the range to fit my column.
Cell i9 and i10 are 3 numbers as followed: 6 5 8, 9 7 8. But only cell i10 is noted as FALSE while i9 is true. For the rest it does say TRUE on all the cells that do have letters in them.
*EDIT* After selecting a different range it did work properly... it might just be sell i9 that is doing it.

Upvote 0
I tried this formula, however it seems that something goes wrong. I edited the range to fit my column.
Cell i9 and i10 are 3 numbers as followed: 6 5 8, 9 7 8. But only cell i10 is noted as FALSE while i9 is true. For the rest it does say TRUE on all the cells that do have letters in them.
*EDIT* After selecting a different range it did work properly... it might just be sell i9 that is doing it.
Conditional formatting left me with this:
1622643251649.png

While if I just have the formula in the column next to it, it will be correct

Upvote 0
Are you saying this is sorted?

Upvote 0
Are you saying this is sorted?
the formula works when I put them in cells, but in conditional format it doesnt work properly. Only the cells with a letter in there should turn green? Maybe I did something wrong. I selected column I and then custom formula and posted this: =ISERROR(SUBSTITUTE($I2;" ";"")*1) However this seemed to give me that result shown in the previous reply.

Attachments

• 1622644532466.png
    1622644532466.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back