Formatting rows and groups of rows

stefanaalten

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I would like to use conditional formatting to format rows and groups of rows as per the example shown below. I have provided three separate examples in the screenshot to illustrate what I'm trying to produce. Each table is supposed to represent a very simplified version of my data. The first table represents the default view, in which rows are ordered by ID (which is not unique for each row). Some columns contain data which is the same for all rows in a certain group, for example Info 1 and Info 2 are always the same for a given ID. Other columns, for example Info 3 and Info 4 contain data which is specific for that row, within that ID. In the default ordering I would like to have colours for rows and groups of rows as shown, to make it easy to distinguish between the pieces (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) and within the pieces between the parts (Flute, etc.) Now the tricky bit ... I will often apply a different sort ordering from the default - see the 2nd and 3rd examples in the screenshot, where the table is ordered on Info 2 and Info 3 respectively - and I want to retain the colouring from the default sort order (the first table).
My actual data is across many more columns and rows - below is a highly simplified illustration. Many thanks in advance for any help!
Formatting rows and groups of rows.jpg

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I can only see using a UDF along with conditional formatting to accomplish this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back