Formatting Text from email to Excel

njlife

Ok this is probably a dumb question, but asking you guys is my last resource.

I am web editor for a magazine. For contests, we have a html web form for users to fill out on our website with their information. It comes to us through email with the following fields:

Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone Number
Email

The information from these thousands of emails have to put into excel spreadsheets, with each column heading being each one of the above. For months I've been just dragging and dropping information, line by line, from each email into its respective column on the spreadsheet, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way? Is there a program? Is there a special formatting tool in excel where I can copy and paste ALL the content from each email and have it go to the right column, rather than having to drag and drop text line by line?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
You could probably write a VB(A) routine to do the needful -- or hire someone to do it.

But, more interestingly, what does it mean to assign a 5 star rating to a discussion with just the original question?

Upvote 0
Why does the form come by email?:eek:

I'm pretty sure there's software out there that can take data from a form when it's submitted and put it into some sort of database.

Upvote 0
You could probably write a VB(A) routine to do the needful -- or hire someone to do it.

But, more interestingly, what does it mean to assign a 5 star rating to a discussion with just the original question?
More interestingly? I'm not surprised that in a forum like this that you would focus on something silly like that instead of just answering the question with a simple response and leaving it at that. I did it hoping to get a faster response. Sorry that I don't know the forum "rules". And I don't see how "hire someone" answers the question at all.

Upvote 0
Why does the form come by email?:eek:

I'm pretty sure there's software out there that can take data from a form when it's submitted and put it into some sort of database.
We have a company that does the backend stuff for our site, and thats just the method they chose for some reason. But thanks for the response. I kept focusing on a solution to the excel problem and I never looked up a program to put data into excel format.

Upvote 0
Want you want to do probably is possible using Excel VBA.

But there a lot of other factors to consider.

Firstly, what email client are you using? If it's Outlook or Lotus Notes it maybe possible to use automation to extract the data.

Also is the structure of the data/emails uniform?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back