Formatting

Priya

I need to prevent exponential formatting of data for large numbers

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi Priya,

Are you saying that you have scientific formatting set, but that you want it to switch to fixed numeric formatting if the number gets larger than a certain value? For example do you want to only only use scientific formatting for numbers whose absolute value is less than one (i.e., negative exponents)?

Damon

Upvote 0
Say i have a number like 1234567891234567 .the moment i enter it ,it is automatically displayed in exponential format .I dont want this to happen.Instead i want to maintian the same number

Upvote 0
Does anyone have a better answer than this?
If I enter a 23 digit value (e.g. 12345678901234567890123), Excel interprets it as an exponential number. I need to see this number and perform calculations on it.

Upvote 0
Still, enter as text - that way you can see the "number"; for computations, use
=VALUE(CellRef)
where CellRef is the cell your number is in.

Upvote 0
When I use in cel b1 =value(a1) where a1='12345678901234567890123, the value is then displayed in an exponential form. Which is not what I want. I need to see it with all 23 digit values.

So, if I say add 1 to cel b1, the result in c1 is still an exponential value. No good

Imagine if I was to want to have 5 cells (A1 to A5) with a 23 digit value each derived from the formula A1=23 digit value, A2=A1+1, A3=A2+1, A4=A3+1, A5=A4+1. I would need to see all results without exponentialo values.
This message was edited by PocketNeo on 2002-12-30 09:58

Upvote 0
I think - it was on the board within the last week or two - the max number length is 16 digits. Sorry, but I don't think I can solve your problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back